Any woodwotking cyclists here? Looking for a stand plan.

Mark Rios

Anyone remember or have a plan for a bike hanger/holder, made out of wood, that leans up against the wall? I remember seeing them advertised and reviewed in the cycling mags a few years back.

Thanks for any help.

Mark,

Sorry, I don't have a plan, but I can tell you what I did with our bikes.

I picked up 4 of the heavy duty padded bike hooks and screwed them in to a joist in the ceiling of my garage. The bikes hang upside down by the wheels. I have been using them for 2 adult size mountain bikes for several years, without any problems.

Thanks Sean. I've used tha hooks before and you're right, they work fine.

This particular stand however is made for keeping your bicycles inside and not penetrating the walls or ceiling. It can hold one or two bikes and it leans up against the wall. It uses geometry and the weight of the bikes to keep it up against the wall. It also has a fairly neato styling to it.

Thanks agian.

mark, i outfitted a bicycle retailers store a few years back.......i`ll see if i can find a picture of some of the racks?

Yup and Nope

Anyone remember or have a plan for a bike hanger/holder, made out of wood, that leans up against the wall? I remember seeing them advertised and reviewed in the cycling mags a few years back.

Thanks for any help.

I cycle every day to work - but just 4km. But I'm starting more serious training, as next summer I'm going on a two week trip. (1200+ km)

This bike stand sounds familiar, and a google image search gave me this result. I think that is what you are looking for? I would put some sort of "grippy" rubber or plastic under the foot to help prevent slipping.

That's the idea Art, but it was made of wood and had two vertical members and two or three horizontal members, kind of like a ladder with REAL big steps. (The bikes are held with additional pieces of wood sticking out into the room.) There is a long upper part that sets flat on the wall and then, for the last 16" to 24" or so, the bottom part comes out at an angle. I don't remember the angle that is/was used and,IIRC, the angle was the trick to the stand/holder being very stable. The stand effectively "fell" against the wall and was held in place by gravity. Therefore, the heavier it was (to a point of course) the more stable it was.

The piece was designed to be a piece of furniture (for a cycling enthusiast of course), albeit not really a fancy one but very nice looking if made from nice wood.

I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with Tod.

Thanks again to all.

I'm a road biking woodworker. More than a decade ago, there were two such racks being sold by the bike catalog stores. They faded away, and although my club in Los Angeles has 400 cyclists, none that I know have that design rack.

You might want to contact the SuperGo bicycle chain (now based in Arizona, formerly in Santa Monica, Cal) and see if they have an old catalog ----- a real old catalog -- with a photo they could Xerox.

Here's another approach: just 2 days ago on the Festool Owner's Group website, a guy posted a thread showing a workstand made in Holland that looks like an adaptation of the Festool MFT workstand. There was a YouTube video. To my eyes, that stand looks suspiciously like the bike rack I remember from the 1980s.

Gary Curtis

Thanks Gary. Yes, my recollection is from MANY years ago. :D

I want to make the one that I remember but I wanted to confirm the angle of the lower section. Hmmmm, maybe a little experimentation is in my future.

Thanks again.

As an off note to your question,,,
its nice to find a number of people who enjoy two of the same hobbies as I do. But man how do you folks find time to get both worked into your daily schedule?

oak bike rack?

http://www.google.com/products?q=oa...avclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3RNFA_enUS237US238

Z_250%20SPOOR7.jpg

As an off note to your question,,,
its nice to find a number of people who enjoy two of the same hobbies as I do. But man how do you folks find time to get both worked into your daily schedule?

Doug,

#1- when we moved here we purposefully bought a house that was within cycling distance of my work. This allows us to live with just one vehicle in the family -- or as I like to tell people, I've just given myself the equivalent of a $10,000 per year raise. (owning a car costs about $5-7k per year, and to have that kind of money you need to earn $10k before taxes ;) )

So I cycle every day to work. For me, it is a pretty short 3-4km trip.

#2- I tend to get up earlier than the wife and kids. :dunno:

#3- I talk to my wife and we negotiate. When I signed up for my bike trip for next summer I knew I'd have to do some serious training next spring, and I'm committed to not having that training be at the expense of my family. So I'll have to give up something -- probably do less web surfing, and other stuff. :type: