Thread: Tool Gloat!

Tool Gloat!

I am finally lucky to have purchased two of Doug Thompson's tools.

The 1/2 PM Crown Ellsworth is just for reference.

The smaller one is the 3/8 detail gouge which works like a charm.

The large one is the 3/4 in bowl gouge. What a way to hog out materials!
    It is so steady that I can't believe it.
    Both of these tools have the Oneway handles and the bowl gouge has an adapter to take the handle from 5/8 to 3/4.

I wish I was smart enough to make the black pipe handles. Maybe when I but another one of Doug's tools.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool-Gloat.jpg  

I got his 1/4" & 3/8" U gouges they are fantastic I made almost 7 bowls before I had to sharpen them. I plan on getting his whole line of tools I think there better & cheaper then the name brands.

Chuck

I ordered two on Tuesday, the 3/8" detail gouge and 3/8" V gouge. They were sitting in the mailbox when I got home this evening. Can't wait to try 'em this weekend.

Tony, BCE '75

Congrats Pete and now Tony. Does the 3/8" detail gouge have a fingernail grind or side grind on it? I got one on sale at woodcraft and the cutting end is square and difficult to master. I am thinking of putting a fingernail grind on it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome to the Thompson Club, Pete and Tony. I suspect you're really gonna like those tools. I've got the 5/8" V, 1/2" round, and 3/8" shallow detail gouges and love them all. Pete, you might want to look at Randy Privett's Monster tool handles. They go together like chocolate and peanut butter, IMHO.

Bernie, the detail gouges have what I'd consider a fingernail grind. Definitely not a square end like a roughing gouge.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bernie, I would call it a fingernail grind, although I'm not sure what you mean by side grind. I looked at the Crown detail gouge at Woodcraft and it had a very long weird looking grind (appeared weak at the tip due to the length of the grind) that I did not think I could duplicate with Tormek.

Tony, BCE '75

Pete, it was good to meet you this weekend. For those who missed the Ohio valley symposium it was a ball.
    I will add,
    I am so proud of the people who bid at the auction... together they brought in over a 1,000 dollars on tools alone! This couldn't have been done without the people who supported the tools through the weekend. I owe each and everyone a thank you for making this happen.

Doug,
    You must have met another guy named Pete. I was coaching soccer and making ornaments in Mason Mighigan.

I hope to meet you another time.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Thompson View Post
    Pete, it was good to meet you this weekend. For those who missed the Ohio valley symposium it was a ball.
    I will add,
    I am so proud of the people who bid at the auction... together they brought in over a 1,000 dollars on tools alone! This couldn't have been done without the people who supported the tools through the weekend. I owe each and everyone a thank you for making this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan View Post
    Doug,
    You must have met another guy named Pete. I was coaching soccer and making ornaments in Mason Mighigan.

I hope to meet you another time.

Pete
    LoL... Sorry about that, yesterday was a rough day, I had symposium on the brain. Now after a good nights sleep I can remember your order and one day we will meet.

Do give some feed back on tha big tool.