Here's my first "real" Sketchup model

Wes Bischel

In a previous thread I mentioned I was working on a "real" Sketchup drawing - versus just playing around. I picked up a copy of Making Mechanical Marvels in Wood by Raymond Levy. It's a neat book and has plans for a number of models - kinda sorta.
I thought this was a perfect opportunity to really learn Sketchup in more detail. Things like scanning, then importing printed templates from the book and creating them in Sketchup, follow me, making components so I can use some parts in subsequent drawings etc.
It took a bit of doing, but I finally got the piece built and assembled. Had a bit of an issue with follow me kind of going flaky on me instead of closing. I made it work, but I need to figure out what I am doing to insult the programming.:D

Anyhow, here's the model from SU. I guess I should have a pic of it from the book. This model demonstrates turning rotational movement into verticle movement with some dimensional control via the cam profile. Simple, but good exercise. Turn the cam and the cam follower will move up and down based on the cam profile. Simple machine to start with.

Wes

Attachments

• mechanical marvel base view 2.jpg
    mechanical marvel base view 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Looks good Wes. You picked an interesting subject. I almost hate to add to your work load but there's a Ruby plugin called Sketchy Physics. It might be used to animate your model. I don't know if it works with the free version or how the animation is gotten out of the free version or even if it can be--I haven't played with it for well over a year but you might investigate it.

Hee hee, You are right Vaughn - though once I figured out that stringing arcs together it was easy.:rolleyes: I started a separate drawing and used the scanned image as a template which worked out well.

You are correct Dave, it does beg to be animated. Considering that it is a model to demonstrate motion it would make sense. Thanks for the info. I don't see where it differentiates between pro and free, so I might download it and give it a try. From a cursory look, it does look like I'll need to redraw the moving parts.:doh:

I made extensive use of the components command, but I should look into layers more. I think it would have saved a lot of time hiding and re-hiding items. Overall though, I am feeling more comfortable with the programs basics. Now I just need to use it regularly so I'm not relearning every time I use it!:rolleyes:

Wes