smokin` deal on a new 17" drill press

Good catch Tod! I wish the budget (and shop) had room for it. Hopefully this deal will hang around longer than some of the Amazon deals.

Wes

I saw that unit in Sears about 6 months ago, it looks VERY similar to the Steel City one I bought (before I saw the Sears model) for LOTS more bucks!

Jay

Dang Tod, you've got me trying to figure out where I'd fit that in my shop. I've got a great space for a benchtop DP, but I'm not sure where I'd fit floor model.

At that price, I may just have to buy it and store it until I can figure out where to put it. :rolleyes:

[Edited to add...]
Well, it took me all of about 15 minutes to decide on this one. I still don't know where I'll fit it, but I've got a couple days to do some rearranging before it's here. ;) A $530 tool for less than $200 out the door is hard to pass up.

That is a Very good deal! :eek:

However I do like the six inch stroke, split head and external micro-adjustable depth stop on my Steel City. ;)

DT

Didn't Last Long???

They must not have had many of them, OR......they made a mistake & caught it, because when I clicked on the link to see which model it was, the page that came up said, "the product you are looking for is no longer available".:dunno:

Looks like that you are right Norman. I'll bet that it was a mistake. Those kinds of deals do not last long and you really have to jump on them. Good move Vaughn and Rob.

Last edited:
I ordered mine for in-store pickup, but I still haven't gotten the e-mailed order confirmation. I figure I'll swing by Sears on the way home tonight and see
if they have it in stock. (The website said maybe...but to call and confirm.)

Dunno what my hurry is...I've still got to do some major rearranging just to shoehorn it into my shop.

They must not have had many of them, OR......they made a mistake & caught it, because when I clicked on the link to see which model it was, the page that came up said, "the product you are looking for is no longer available".:dunno:

I told my boss's boss about it. He is retiring this month and is starting up a woodshop. He ordered one online just in time.

Dang Tod, you've got me trying to figure out where I'd fit that in my shop. I've got a great space for a benchtop DP, but I'm not sure where I'd fit floor model.

Put it in the same place. I've seen several plans/ideas where people build a cart that fits over the base of a floor-standing drill press. Then when they need the extra height, they roll it out of the way. So you still get the same storage that you'd have if you had a DP sitting on a bench.

(I know, if you have a large bench waiting for it, that isn't much help.)

...art

ps: post photos. I just get an error when I hit that link, so I don't even know what it looks like.

...(I know, if you have a large bench waiting for it, that isn't much help.)

...art

ps: post photos. I just get an error when I hit that link, so I don't even know what it looks like.
Not so much that the bench is large, but it's built into a wall full of cabinets. But, your idea about adding storage under the DP table might work itself into the plan. Thanks for suggesting it. I also am debating several other things about where and how to set it up, but I'll turn all that into another thread.

On the plus side, this will make me tackle one wall of my shop that's needed to be reorganized since I started in there. ;)

Too Good to be True?

Well, looks like Sears picked up on their error. I got an e-mail tonight saying that the sale price was supposed to be $479, not $179, and that the order had been canceled, and my account credited. (It's not showing up yet as a charge -- or a refund -- on my credit card account.)

Then, about a hour and 15 minutes later, I got an order confirmation e-mail (with a confirmation number, and the $179 price), saying the drill press would be available for pickup at my local store, with an expected arrival date of 10/17. It also said I'd be getting another e-mail when the drill press is available for pickup.

So the bottom line is that I don't know if it's coming or not. :dunno: I'll know by the middle of next week. :rolleyes: