Tod's Top Tip!

Just my two "yen's" worth, but I'd rather hear the various different "vernacular", as I think it broadens everyone's horizons. :thumb: Just my opinion mind you..... :D

I agree whole heartedly Duncan. I am just a heinz 57 variety American however, I will be the first to admit that it is we Yanks that butcher the English language the most. ;)
We have enough Brits around here to have one close most any time we would need to say Huh? :huh: :rofl:

(No Stu, you can't start speaking Japanese!)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

Duncan,

"(God help me) 'Rabbet' instead of 'rebate'"

I wouldn't worry about that one too much, it ain't even english. Rushing to my handy-dandy copy of the OED online, I find this:

Rebate, also rabbate. (and rabbet)

Diminution; lessening, drawing in.
1589 PUTTENHAM Eng. Poesie II. xi. (Arb.) 109 In his altitude he wil require diuers rabates to hold so many sizes of meetres.

another click gives this:

Also rabbate. [a. OF. rabat, rabbat n. to rabattre: see next

which gives: Also 6 rabbate. [a. F. rabattre to beat down

so not only is it not an english word, we can't even say it's french, since it's old french. Nuance... ;)

in other words, re-battre means 'if you didn't make it deep enough the first time, just smack it again with the hammer' ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Domo domo! :D

I agree whole heartedly Duncan. I am just a heinz 57 variety American however, I will be the first to admit that it is we Yanks that butcher the English language the most. ;)
We have enough Brits around here to have one close most any time we would need to say Huh? :huh: :rofl:

(No Stu, you can't start speaking Japanese!)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

DT

too late!

Duncan,

"(God help me) 'Rabbet' instead of 'rebate'"

I wouldn't worry about that one too much, it ain't even english. Rushing to my handy-dandy copy of the OED online...

So come on Bill - what does the OED have for "twopennorth". And also - "it ain't even english? - from a (recovering) English professor? Miss Jones my primary school teacher will be spinning in her grave.:D

Glenn

twopennerth = two pennys worth. At the current exchange rate it is approximately equivalent to saying "my 1.625 cents worth" but I'm sure that you will agree that this lacks the same rhythm and poetry:D.

(I have assumed that Duncan, like myself, is referring to a pre-decimalisation twopennorth which effectively represented 1/120th of a pound sterling)

Yes, but isn't a thruppence worth a more expert opinion? :rofl: