Router table final days...Got another question.

Jim O'Dell

Ok, I'm getting close. I need to enclose the 3 open sides of the base. Not so much for beauty as for solidifying the base to reduce the racking if I push on it hard. My first thought was to use 3/4" oak veneer plywood. And I think that would be best, but it might be a little expensive too and with the new job, I'm a little low on shop funds at the moment. Could I use laminate flooring? Glue up a panel and screw it down? Would this be stable or would it expand/contract differently than the rest of the material I already have in this thing? (base is made of oak or ash legs, 3/4" oak veneer ply, and a few oak solids for the drawer rails) I will be out today for a Celtic Festival, and could go by the surplus builders store for some cheap laminate if that will work. Could stop by to see if HD has some damaged oak ply they will sell cheaper. Thanks! Jim.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13233&d=1191806886

ok, why does this not show a clickable link to enlarge, or just show the larger picture?:dunno: Oh, well, you can get a larger view in my shop rehab thread, last post. thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to the laminate flooring issue but if you cannot find a sheet of discounted oak plywood you might be able to get a good price on some sandply. If you are going to paint it or just leave it raw it works real good.

Allen, I've played with staining some of HD's birch ply, but it doesn't take the stain very well, and so looks 100 times lighter. Might have to try the sand ply. I'm sure the wood it's made of (pine?) will absorb stain better. Thanks.. Jim.

My vote is for solid material like ply or MDF. Since you're going for a pretty finish maybe some MDO could be more in the price range(?). I've had decent results with shop grade ply from the lumber yard but use dye, not stain (for me anyway). You're going to be using this thing for along time. My favorite rational goes something like this: $50 for a sheet of ply !?! Hmmm. let's see, if I use this thing for only a year that's only 14 cents per day . . . 7 cents a day if I use it for two years . . . etc.

Last edited: