Mortiser photos

Jeff Horton

Here are some photos of the Wysong & Miles mortiser. Got it in place and running. Just need to order the chisels. I am sure at some point I will pull it out and "restore" it. Just can't stand that tattered paint. :rolleyes:

Photos are not that great. Tried 3 time now and they just are not clear. I assume it is the white wall behind it.

mort1.jpg

mort2.jpg

mort3.jpg

Jeff,

Looks good! I don't think it's going anywhere - a wee bit of mass there.
Are you going to leave the drive set-up as is, or change it out in the future? The reason I ask is I have a DP that was butchered in the past and have been trying different ideas on paper. So far I haven't come up with anything I like so far.

Wes

How much leg effort does it take to lift the table?... I'm assuming that's how it works...

Looks like there's a link between the foot pedal's vertical rod and the mortising head - in that rectangular mortise in the pedistal. Pretty cool looking machine, though not one for Vaughn to use on a windy day :D

Yea, the head slides in a set of gibs. The pedal just lowers the head. Most of the mechanics is hide from site. I just have a 5/16? bit and pressure is minimal. LOTS of leverage on that pedal. Anxious to get a set of bits and see how a large hole does.

Wes. I had intentions of 'improving" it. But after seeing it and looking at it a while, I don't see a good way to do it without a major overhaul. While it's ugly the set up does work well. Thought I might try to put a belt guard just to hide the ugly drive. Out of sight, out of mind type deal.

Thought I might try to put a belt guard just to hide the ugly drive. Out of sight, out of mind type deal.

Gee, I've been looking at mine for a few years now. Never thought of that.:eek::eek::doh:

It is cool how well these old machines work when tuned up properly.

Wes