Cherry Barkless NE

Here is a cherry NE without the bark that I got from John Hart. As I was turning it before I even got it down the bark flew. So I used india ink on the edge. It is 8 1/2" across the widest and 2" deep at the shallowest. Finished with Deft lacquer and buffed.

Attachments

• Cherry Barkless NE 1.jpg
    Cherry Barkless NE 1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Cherry Barkless NE 2.jpg
    Cherry Barkless NE 2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Cherry Barkless NE 3.jpg
    Cherry Barkless NE 3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 23
Hi Bernie,

It looks really nice! I like the contrast between the black ink and the smooth pale cherry grain.

I see you've left the foot/tenon on and turned it as part of the bowl. It looks good that way, and I'm debating leaving my (now drying) elm bowl that way. I wonder if you'd share with us what steps you took to do the last (finishing) cuts? I'm wondering how you held the bowl while you finished the tenon?

cheers eh?

Hi Bernie,

It looks really nice! I like the contrast between the black ink and the smooth pale cherry grain.

I see you've left the foot/tenon on and turned it as part of the bowl. It looks good that way, and I'm debating leaving my (now drying) elm bowl that way. I wonder if you'd share with us what steps you took to do the last (finishing) cuts? I'm wondering how you held the bowl while you finished the tenon?

cheers eh?

John I used a P & N 3/8" conventional gouge for the final cuts which are very light cuts. I rarely have any problem with tear out using these gouges. I use this or the 1/2" P & N on the final cuts on all bowls after watching Mike Mahoney do it. He rarely had tear on any of his bowls. These bowl gouges when I say conventional don't have the fingernail, ellsworth or any swept back grind on them.

When I finish the bottom of these NE bowls I use a donut chuck. When I mount the bowl in the chuck I put a piece of PVC adapter 2 1/2" to 4" with a piece of computer mouse pad glued on the big end for padding. I put this in the middle of the bowl and sit it on the side of the donut chuck that will mount on the spindle. Then I put the donut on over the bowl and screw it down just enough to hold it. I always make sure on the bottom I leave the mark made by the tailstock. Then mount it on the lathe and bring the tailstock up and put it in the mark it made during the initial turning. Once I have it square I tighten down the screws to hold the bowl solid and then remove the tailstock to finish the tenon. I usually take my skew and make a couple of circles on it for decoration. Hope this helps.

Bernie, that is really nice!

I just had two days of instruction from Eli Avisera and Jean Jean François Escoulen, and yesterday (Saturday) I got to play tour guide. One of the places we went to is called "Tokyu Hands" which is self described as a "Creative Life Store". Lots of craft stuff and everything else most home centers would have. One of the things that Eli found was a pen called a "Fude Pen" (Foo-day Pen) which is like a small paint brush, with the Japanese black ink in it, used in the calligraphy.

Fude_pen.jpg

This ink, called "Sumi" (Sue-me) is a dried mix of pine wood charcoal, vegetable oil, and fish or animal glue, you grind it up on special stone and add a few drops of water to it, the BLACK ink that results is amazing. Eli liked the pens so much he bought a few, which made me laugh, cause I have them laying around here, and I never once thought to use then on the edge of bowls et :doh:

Sorry for the long story, but your very well done bowl reminded me of this.

Cheers!

Bernie, a beauty, that's exactly what I have to tell you.
Thought I saw a little crack at the top, if I'm right.
What a fun huh, and what a beautiful hobby we have.
Keep up you good work. :wave:

Thanks everyone. I really like how the bowl came out and I am glad I decided to use lacquer as it left the wood natural to show off the black, sap wood and the light cherry. I hope I can find another peice like this and I will take the bark off on purpose to do the ink thing.

Stu nice story. I like that.

Bernie,

Thank you for sharing your method - it never occurred to me to use a donut chuck, so I guess I'll have to make one before I finish my own bowl :).

cheers and thank you again.