Dang, I am not so young anymore

Jeff Horton

I have been fighting with my BIL's old half worn out, but handier than a shirt pocket bucket truck(van) the past couple of days. Got most of the bugs worked out except the leaking heater core. I think we will just by pass that rather than try to replace it.

So today I start early and spent the morning in the bucket around the house adding some trim pieces and doing some odds an ends getting the house ready to paint. Lots of stooping and ducking getting in and out of the bucket to move the van, Then stoop and duck back in the bucket etc. By 1 PM I have everything pretty much done. Well there is one piece that the bucket just won't reach because of the height and the fact I can't get the truck 2 feet closer! :doh: It's just out of reach!

So I quit for lunch and we ate out on the patio. Get ready to get up and do something and my knees hurt and are stiff. My back is stiff. I realize how tired I am when I get up. I hate to admit it but I this stuff, all though it is still fun. Just isn't as easy as it was 10 years ago! I am starting to understand now!

Last edited:
I always wondered what my parents were talking about . . . now with 50 being a couple years behind me, I know all too well.

Yeah, I'm starting to see what you mean, too. At 62, I find that a lot of tasks seem to be more tiring than they used to be.

Bending, stretching, hammering, digging. mixing mortar, brick work - and especially roofing, all seem to be a lot more strenuous these days.

I'm also starting to see the benefit of an afternoon nap...;)

Jeff, I know what you are talking about.
I'm a 67 years old guy, still I feeling me young and full of life.
Bought this year a house for my youngest daughter and remodeled this house completely from top till bottom, takes me 12 weeks to finish this job.
But I have to admit that I was very glad to have it behind me.
Than you realise yourself, that you are not longer a young dog anymore.
Luckely for me not a stiff back or sore knees, so am I lucky or not.
But I walked every week on wednesday together with brother in law 15 miles
to keep me in shape, do also a lot of biking, and nearly use my car.
A nice American girl penfriend of me, she had a lot of overweight, is doing the same since a year, now she lost 40 pounds of weight, and feeling herself as newborn. She's now so fanatic, that she struggled with finding the time for her turnings, her household, and what else more. Sometimes I have to ask her, he don't forget me. I guess she still have to find the right balance between everything what she daily have to do, including her corresponding with me. So sometimes I feel me the victim.

I like Bob's attitude. I'm 13 days away from being 69 and reading those posts makes me wonder what the molasses y'all are talking about.
Think ye got an age related gripe? Consider the alternative.

I like Bob's attitude. I'm 13 days away from being 69 and reading those posts makes me wonder what the molasses y'all are talking about.
Think ye got an age related gripe? Consider the alternative.

Thanks Frank....but you are 13 days from 69,

I'm 2 months away from 74.......:headbang: :headbang:

I cut and split firewood most of the day yesterday.

5 years ago, I wouldn't have even had any aches or soreness the next day.

But today I do.:rolleyes:

I understand that. That is why modern science invented: naps, asprin, ibuprofen, naproxin sodium, acetaminaphen and booze.
Re-read my comments about the alternative. Aches and soreness mean nothing except that my body is still alive and I can feel.

Hey guys, despite having some problems with our eyes or ears or sore knees or whatever it may be, we are still alive, so lets make fun, that's the right attitude. :D:D:wave:

Aches and soreness mean nothing except that my body is still alive and I can feel.

Wow! In that case, at 60 I am doing great! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I haven't been physically able to go out to the shop and really accomplish anything for close to three weeks. All I've been able to do is watch my electrician friend set up the remote on the cyclone and the 220/110 setup that now runs in a conduit down the DC piping in the center of the shop for the table saw/planer/jointer island.

Yesterday when I got up, it was the most beautiful day I have seen in a long time. No one was here but me. I went out to the shop, sunshine beaming through the windows, cranked up some of that "Old Dudes" Rock and Roll and proceeded to roll tools, tables and tubs around to see where they will do the best job. It's amazing how a 6" pipe and 3/4" conduit in the center of the room will destroy ones setup plans. :huh:

I was like an old woman with a new living room suite! :rofl:

I still don't have a clue as to how the final setup will go and to tell the truth, it really doesn't matter. I spent a whole afternoon in my shop and I will do so again today.

I am a pretty lucky guy. ;)

DT