Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Drill Press recommendation

Matt Dunlap Guest

Need Drill Press recommendation

Last edited by Matt Dunlap; 03-31-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Matt,

I have the Delta 12in bench top. i picked this up from Lowes, for under $200. I think its best feature is the laser guides. It takes a little while to get it dialed in, but once you do, It is right no matter what height the table is set to.

One down side of the laser it that it is powered with a 9v battery, not off of the AC, so if you forget to turn it off, you'll be buying some batteries.

It came with a tool table that swings out to the side. I didn't install it, as it just didn't fit in my shop the way things are set up.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

No room for a floor model? Sears has (had?) the 17" unit for 180.00. Nice quill travel, 3/4 hp motor. If you can sneek in the floor space, would be good to look at it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    No room for a floor model? Sears has (had?) the 17" unit for 180.00. Nice quill travel, 3/4 hp motor. If you can sneek in the floor space, would be good to look at it. Jim.
    Unfortunately, the $170 ($180, actually) was a misprint on their website. (They meant to say $479, not $179.) There were some folks who were able to talk their local stores into honoring the mistaken price, but a lot of people (me included) got cancellation notices after we ordered online. (Interestingly, I got an order confirmation e-mail after I got the cancellation notice, but based on what I read last night on other forums, I don't expect the drill press to actually show up.)

I've been needing a drill press with more quill travel than my little 10" Delta, so I bit the bullet today and picked up the 12" Sears model (while it was still on sale). If for some reason Sears decides to honor the misprint and the big one does arrive, I'll figure out what to do with whichever one I decide not to keep. Right now, the benchtop model makes more sense for my needs.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Vaughn. I had read that price on several forums, but hadn't read that it was a misprice. Seems to be a lot of that lately. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Vaughn,

It may have been a misprint on the website but many of the stores, according to members of other forums, saw price tags on the actual machine indicating the $179.99 price. I didn't get one since I already have a nice 16 1/2" Delta that I've had for quite a few years but a lot of others did. Wouldn't it be curious if Sears was just using it as a advertising ploy just to drum up interest.
    Last edited by Rick Levine; 10-14-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dunlap View Post
    So I'm limited to a choice of either the BORG or Sears.
    Dumb limey question...

...what the heck is the BORG?

(Sears I've heard of!)

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Cheslett View Post
    Dumb limey question...

...what the heck is the BORG?

(Sears I've heard of!)
    Its a derogatory reference typically to The HomeDepot also Lowes. These stores are seen as a somewhat necessary evil for true woodworkers. The term borg stems from StarTrek.

Quote Originally Posted by www.wikipedia.org
    The Borg are a race of cyborgs in the fictional Star Trek universe, first introduced in the Star Trek: The Next Generation TV series. They are characterized by relentless pursuit of targets for assimilation, their collective consciousness that enables rapid adaptability to almost any defense, and the ability to continue functioning properly despite seemingly devastating blows. They have become a powerful symbol in popular culture for any juggernaut against whom "resistance is futile."
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Not so Dumb, "Big Orange Retail Giant" is one I've heard often...........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hd_logo.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	13444

But I've also heard it in reference to any of the large chain retail home centers.

I guess I cannot suggest you wait to find a good older used one and fix it up?

Maybe Greg has one for sale
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Not so Dumb, "Big Orange Retail Giant" is one I've heard often...........
    Ah, I see...

Funnily enough our dominant DIY chain also enjoys orange livery

The BORG... I like it!