Well, after lots of advice in this thread
I decided to put as much weight in my lathe stand as possible, and to make it mobil. So off to the hardware store to buy some steel casters, two fixed, two swivel, each with a load rating of 200 pounds.
Here is what I started with.Attachment 13455
And here is the leg where I wanted to put some sand.
Inserted a plywood piece to fill the hole
I know that my shop floor isn't exactly level, so I didn't want to assemble the base on the floor and find that it was twisted. So, I put it upside down on my bench
Fitting the base (3/4" ply) and building the bottom box sides.
Tight fit on the bolts for the casters -- self conversation edited to comply with FWW COC )
I couldn't put the sides in until I had the bolts secure, but the base box also had to be assembled, once turned up right the panels slipped right in -- I put some caulking on them and around the seams in the stand and poured the sand it the legs and the base -- almost 300 pounds worth.
Then I realized that I forgot to put in the top shelf. Started to unbolt the stand top and then said, you fool, you've got it all squared up now who knows what will happen.
So, I cut the shelf in half, (thanks Tod for the advice) and then reassembled it.
Painted stand, added wood stiffeners on the top shelf (glued, screwed and plugged) and the beast is ready to roar!
Lathe 185 pounds
The fixed casters are on the headstock end, the swivels on the tail stock. It is fairly easy to move, but you have to be careful -- once it gets going it is a little tough to stop!
Next step is to get my sharpening stuff organized, if I don't do this and start turning I know I'll NEVER get that under control.