Lathe Stand Completed

Jay Lock

Hi everyone

Well, after lots of advice in this thread

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6059

I decided to put as much weight in my lathe stand as possible, and to make it mobil. So off to the hardware store to buy some steel casters, two fixed, two swivel, each with a load rating of 200 pounds.

Here is what I started with.View attachment 13455

And here is the leg where I wanted to put some sand.
View attachment 13456
Inserted a plywood piece to fill the hole
View attachment 13457
I know that my shop floor isn't exactly level, so I didn't want to assemble the base on the floor and find that it was twisted. So, I put it upside down on my bench
View attachment 13458
Fitting the base (3/4" ply) and building the bottom box sides.

Tight fit on the bolts for the casters -- self conversation edited to comply with FWW COC :rofl:)
View attachment 13459
I couldn't put the sides in until I had the bolts secure, but the base box also had to be assembled, once turned up right the panels slipped right in -- I put some caulking on them and around the seams in the stand and poured the sand it the legs and the base -- almost 300 pounds worth.

Then I realized that I forgot to put in the top shelf. Started to unbolt the stand top and then said, you fool, you've got it all squared up now who knows what will happen.

So, I cut the shelf in half, (thanks Tod for the advice) and then reassembled it.
View attachment 13460
Painted stand, added wood stiffeners on the top shelf (glued, screwed and plugged) and the beast is ready to roar!

View attachment 13461

Lathe 185 pounds
Stand 68
Sand 290
Wood/wheels 20

Total 563

The fixed casters are on the headstock end, the swivels on the tail stock. It is fairly easy to move, but you have to be careful -- once it gets going it is a little tough to stop!

Next step is to get my sharpening stuff organized, if I don't do this and start turning I know I'll NEVER get that under control.

Jay

Last edited:
Jay, that is a nice looking set up. You will not regret the weight. I hope you made sure that the center height is at a comfortable level for you for turning. Nothing more miserable than to wake up with a back ache because the lathe is too low. Now have fun and be safe!

Looks like you considered all the whinin' and complainin' as well as the suggestions and complaints and came upon a good decision. Good thing about this forum is expression of ideas and opinions and we can draw from them and generate our own. 'Excellant job....:thumb:

I'll add my "Ya dun good" to the list! :thumb:

So................. how does it work?

You must have at least one sharp tool and a scrap of 2x4 laying around........... :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Stu

It spins! I'll take pics later on today, I had a hunk of spanish cedar left over from my bathroom redo a couple of years ago,

LOTS of dust! SWMBO is not pleased.

I have been instructed to

Look into an air cleaner

Think about better personal protection than the dust mask/face shield I was wearing

Get a turning smock

I can follow instructions.............. sometimes :rofl:

So, any suggestions/experience? I think you have a Triton the reviews seem spotty

Jay

Watch that cedar, it can give some people a really bad reaction.

My older brother is a shop teacher in Canada, they cannot even have cedar in the workshop anymore, as a few kids have a VERY bad reaction to it.

I happen to LOVE my Triton, I've had nothing be good things with it.

I also think the Trend Air-shield system is good, but for me, the Triton was here local, and the price was right.

The only thing I do not like about the Triton, is the battery takes like 8 hours to charge up, so buying two battery sets, or being very observant on how much you use it, are needed.

I've got a cold these last two days, and today, I was in the Dungeon, turning and sanding, and I was wearing the Triton, as any dust, would set me off sneezing. I opened the helmet to take a drink and I got some dust in there and started sneezing, and sneezing and then really sneezing........ nice thing about the Triton, the visor is flip up and down, and comes off easily enough to be wiped off......... :doh:

The biggest complaint most had in the past was that the air hose connecting the fan/battery pack to the helmet was too stiff, well they have changed this and the hose is not great.

Greg Cook bought one a while ago, and used it a lot in his house demo, I think he likes his too.

Turners smock, yeah, a must, keeps your clothes a lot cleaner, a coal shovel for putting the shaving into the garbage helps too :D :wave:

The bowl looks great Jay, but mess..............? :dunno:

Dude, you can still see the floor, and the wall, as well as most of the lathe :D

When it starts to get up near your knees, then we are talking about a mess :thumb:

It all looks great, lathe, bench, bowl, shavings....as to a turning smock, I just picked up a couple mock turtleneck long sleeve shirts that have worked well for me. The collar keeps the curlies out of the neck. I cut the sleeves off one because it got to hot this summer, but at 2 for $10 I can get a few throughout the year if needed.

Stu

Showed your post to LOML, she says that I'm in BIG trouble if I let the piles get that deep!

Triton on order as well as some other dust control thingies!

Going out to clean up, not going to play with that cedar anymore until I get the mask

Had to take two showers yesterday to get the cedar smell off my skin, I wasn't wearing a long sleeve shirt.

Jay

Stu

And thank you VERY MUCH for suggesting that I block the lathe up higher than the first planned 3/4". Vacuum cleaner tool slips in very nicely!

Jay