Midnight Ash

Mark Cothren

Took another Ash NE and dyed it black. This time I also included the bark edge. It ended up 13-1/4" x 9-1/4" x 6-1/2". It took about 4 coats of India ink and then two coats of lacquer to end up here.

Comments/critiques/opinions/suggestions are welcomed.

BlackAsh01.jpg

BlackAsh02.jpg

Mark,

I have looked at this piece off and on since you posted it. Usually, I'm not a big fan of dyed pieces if you can't see the wood grain coming through. I have seen a lot of pieces that are black and I usually don't care for them, but this one is growing on me. Maybe it's that it's not a high gloss finish. Very nicely done, excellent shape as always.

I really like this piece Mark. The grain flows/undulates very nicely and the bark NE is a striking contrast.

Just my opinion.

Wes

More great stuff, Mark. I really like the way the grain still shown through the blackness. (And of course you nailed the form bigtime.) :thumb:

Very nice Mark! Not only is the dye job done very well, but making something all black like this is a sure way to draw attention to the form over the figure, and there is no mercy for little blips in the shape. You have done very well on that score as well. Great piece!

Bill

Wonderful Mark!

You keep setting the bar higher and higher. I do want to thank you in advance for all of the ideas I am going to steal from you and then take credit for with my friends.