Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a big old arn

a big old arn

While visiting this old, nearby town, I went by what used to be a hardwood floor manufacturing factory. I once knew the guy that owned it, a real character. Enneyhow, place is abandoned. His main building still have quite a few tons of bundled wood. Some in finished flooring but much in strips. I saw lotsa oak, some pine and some cherry. In the building is the biggest honkin' forklift I have ever seen and the machine shown below. Not sure what it is but surmise it probably is/was his molding machine for turning wood strips into tongue and groove flooring. It is nearly 12 feet long, about seven feet high. The guy is still alive, I can contact if someone wants this monster. BTW, the brand is Yates-American.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machine 1.jpg   machine 2.jpg   machine 3.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

That's quite a piece of arn, Frank. Don't let Jeff Horton see that...he'll be trying to figure out a way to Rucker it to the Kudzu Patch.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That's quite a piece of arn, Frank. Don't let Jeff Horton see that...he'll be trying to figure out a way to Rucker it to the Kudzu Patch.
    Not on my pick-em-up.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I knew before I scrolled down someone would say something like that! Vaughn.

Frank I suspect your right. Even though I am just guessing, I bet you put in the a ripped plank on one one side and the ready to finish plank came out the other end. Yates_American made lots of really neat big machines like that. What a monster! I see $500+ in flat belts on that sucker alone.

I would love to see all the wood behind it though! That interests me more.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I knew before I scrolled down someone would say something like that! Vaughn.

Frank I suspect your right. Even though I am just guessing, I bet you put in the a ripped plank on one one side and the ready to finish plank came out the other end. Yates_American made lots of really neat big machines like that. What a monster! I see $500+ in flat belts on that sucker alone.

I would love to see all the wood behind it though! That interests me more.
    What wood shows in the picture is only a fraction of the total. If I get back down there, I'll take more pictures.

let me know when you`re goin` frank? i wanna go!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    let me know when you`re goin` frank? i wanna go!
    Will do. I'll pm you. Might come by the shop today too if I have time.

I will get hold of the steam and antique group and see if they might be intrested in it. If so I will get the contact if from you. That would look great along side the 100 year old sawmill they have set up.

For the record, folks. I am not a tool broker and am not selling the hunka arn posted above. I posted that as simply a curiosity. For fun. But, there have been inquiries about buying it, one serious. I'll contact the owner and put in touch with prospective buyer(s). I once knew the owner fairly well but haven't seen him in 15 years, there is no business relationship. But, as a matter of fun and camaraderie, if a deal is made via FW, I'll try to be there the day this huge hunka arn is loaded and meet the buyer, a fellow FW'er, in person and take pictures.

Frank,
    I wish I was closer. I'd love to get a close up look at that machine. I checked the YA catalog, but couldn't find any info on this planer. That machine probably weighs around 8,000 lbs. Double surfacers are hard to come by in the Northeast. Even older machines like this are still bringing decent prices. But then, there's always the moving and rigging, and then you need to find the space to put the thing. Anyway, thanks for posting the photos.
    AF
    Somerset, New Jersey
    http://www.owwm.net