Lost in the Crash?

Hi,

Some time ago, in one of the posts several people asked me to send photos of the bandsaw tensioning rig I made. I'm learning this photo stuff so I have been slow. I cannot find the thread with the questions so I am assuming it was lost in the crash.

Enclosed are three photos: 1) the lever on the BS, 2) a closeup of the ball between the threaded rod and the BS frame, and 3) a pic showing the drilled dimple in the end of the rod and the ballbearing.

The dimple in the end of the rod was made with an ordinary twist drill. I did put one small drop of oil on the end of the rod just prior to placing it on the ball.

Someone asked how I kept the ball in place. Even with all tension removed from the bandsaw blade---in fact even so loose the rod is ready to be removed---there is still the weight of the threaded rod resting on the ball keeping it trapped in the dimple.

Oh yes, the coupling has no more significance than the fact I did not have a piece of threaded rod long enough to use and I did have the parts to make it this way.

The wood part of the handle rotates freely. That is part of the reason it is so easy to use. I can take one finger and twirl the handle to bring the blade up to proper tension for a 1/2" blade. Normally I back off 10 full rotations to release pressure and crank 10 back to tension. That way I never have to look at the scale or twang the blade to know where I am. I read somewhere about someone else who did basically the same thing. That person backed up only 5 rotations.

I shouldn't admit this, but I have not checked to see how loose the blade is with 10 rotations.

The bandsaw is an old Delta which runs like a dream.

If the photos don't come out well in the real world, I will try again.

Last edited:
Pretty slick setup! Looks like it would work nicely. Any problems with the tensioning rod backing off since you have so little friction?

Pretty slick setup! Looks like it would work nicely. Any problems with the tensioning rod backing off since you have so little friction?

Hi Ed,

No I have not had any problems. However, I am still setting up my shop (and have been for a year) so I have not done prolonged sawing. With the right angle lever at the top any movement of the screw would be very noticeable even if I didn't notice a change in blade tension.

The lever gives me much more leverage to change the screw than vibration would give me if I remember my physics correctly. Of course my prof in physics was a guy named Archimedes and who knows how smart he was?

If I pick up any changes in blade tensioning I will post a note about it. At this point I would not hesitate to tell someone to try it. At worst friction could be added. I actually siliconed the threads to make it super smooth. Or as old Archimedes would say, "Think ahead."

When you were in second grade did the kids come up with intelligent sayings like, "Whats that in the road A_Head?" With that I think I better leave you.

Enjoy,

Jim