Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The NEW Escoulen Multi Axis Chuck

The NEW Escoulen Multi Axis Chuck

OK, this chuck is coming out, it is just being produced, first run kind of thing.

If you have ever seen any of Jean-Francois Escoulen's turnings, you will see that he does a lot of off axis turnings, or multi axis turnings.

His regular eccentric chuck somewhat like a collet chuck, and a cup chuck combined. It uses a captured ball with a cup chuck in it, so by altering the tilt of the ball, in the chuck you can get an off axis turning.

You can see a good report on this kind of turning at this blog.......

Page 1
    Page 2

I'd love to get one of those chucks, and will at some point, but I could not resist the deal I got on Jean-Francois's new chuck, so I went ahead and smashed the piggy bank to get it.

This new chuck is not a "Wobble" chuck, but a true multi axis turning chuck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	escoulen_new_1.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	13541
    This is how it comes, in a nice neat box

Name:	escoulen_new_2.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	13542
    You can see everything that comes with

Name:	escoulen_new_3.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	13543
    This is the chuck, with the cup chuck in the center, not off axis at all.

Name:	escoulen_new_4.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	13544
    here the cup chuck has been moved all the way to the extreme off axis position.

Name:	escoulen_new_5.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	13545
    Moving the cup chuck to such an extreme off axis position would create a lot of vibration, but the Escoulen chuck handles this by having movable weights on the back of the chuck. Here they are in the neutral position. You can see the black Sharpie marks on the chuck (the real production chucks will have a mark on the chuck showing this, but for now,I'll just use a file to make a mark)

Name:	escoulen_new_6.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	13546
    Here the weights are move all the way off axis to counter weight the off axis cup chuck.

Name:	escoulen_new_7.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	13547
    This is the cup gage that comes with the chuck, making the tenon you turn for the cup easier than using calipers etc. This chuck came with the 40mm cup, more sizes will be available in the future, as accessories.

Name:	escoulen_new_8.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	13548
    here is a piece of wood with a tenon turned on it for the cup, a quick note, Jean-Francois suggests getting a tight fit, but also slightly wetting the tenon, before you insert it into the cup chuck, he said this has two advantages; one, it makes the tenon slide in easier, the water is a lubricant, second, the wood fibers will swell slightly, this will give an even tighter fit.
    With the cup chuck at the extreme off axis position, you can now see the piece of wood with the #1 side towards you, you would then turn the piece, how you like........

Name:	escoulen_new_9.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	13549
    ........ and then rotate the piece of wood, so a different side of the wood is to be cut. Here you can see that the #1 and the #2 sides are showing. Once you get your head wrapped around that this can do, you will be amazed, the shapes and the turning that can result are really off the scale, this, in the hands of a good turner, one with a fertile imagination, will be one heck of a tool, sadly, I've got my mitts on it, so you will have to wait a while until anything "interesting" comes off of it.....

Name:	escoulen_new_10.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	13550
    One more thing, Jean-Francois was kind enough to include the faceplate in my deal, this is usually a separate accessory. With the face screwed to a neat platter etc, I think some of you might just see the possibilities offered with this design, and the neatest thing is, with the counter weights, you are not fighting this huge unbalanced situation.

Well, that is it for now, I've got my spindle adapter on order, so I can only look at this amazing piece of tooling for now.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, it's not fair...multiple chuck gloats this month? I still don't have my first

Can't wait to see some unusualy things with this chuck.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Stu, it's not fair...multiple chuck gloats this month? I still don't have my first

Can't wait to see some unusualy things with this chuck.
    My bank account would tend to agree with you

Once in a lifetime chance, had to go for it.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Wow, wow, wooooow, Stuart, what a beauty.
    Unfortunaly it don't fit on my lathe, else ........))

Hey Ad, it should be fun!

They have all different kinds of thread sizes, so maybe.....?

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Stuart, it would be my favorite toy to play with, but I'm afraid it won't fit on M18x2.5, an very unusual thread connection for a headstock spindle, don't you think.
    I made for that reason already my clamping chuck.
    Anyway I'm going to search for an adapter.
    Thanks, have fun.

Stu,
    Congrats! Can you tell me the difference between this chuck and his previous ones?

He has two previous ones, which one do you mean?

The "Wobble" one or the eccentric turning one?

Wobble Chuck (Ball & Socket Chuck)

Escoulen Deluxe Chuck

The top one, the Wobble chuck, is for spindle work, and you and tilt the work to wobble the tail stock end, the second chuck is mainly for faceplate work, and you can alter the axis.

The new chuck, is similar to the second one, but you can alter the axis of the piece from the center, then you can also turn the piece along it's length.

Kind of hard to explain, when I get the adapter, I'll put it on the lathe and show everyone.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Again, I'm green with envy, Stu! I've been wanting an Escoulen for quite a while now.

That's a beauty!
    I may be lost but I'm making good time!
    Three Seasons Woodturnings

Wow Stu you suck to. Congrats sir.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.