Chop Chop!

Stuart Ablett

This one has been a long time coming, the blank has finally dried enough that I could turn the THICK large cutting block my lovely wife wanted.........

HI371954.JPG

Not that large, but HEAVY, it is Red Keyaki, and it is HARD wood. It had about a 1/4" of melted wax on both endgrain ends, and it dried slowly, there are only a couple of minor cracks in it, should do fine as a chopping block.

HI371955.JPG

I put a groove around the middle, as this thing is heavy, and the groove gives your fingers something to grip. Now my lovely wife has to soak it in mineral oil for a while, then it should be good to go.

Cheers!

Stu, looks like it's pretty close to the swing capabilities of your Nova? What is the diameter? I never thought of "turning" a chopping/cutting board.

Maybe about 14", I could still move the tool rest under the block, so I had a bit of room, to the ways, it is a 16" swing, but do not forget, the head swivels, so I can do the outrigger thing, but I do not have an outrigger tool rest made up........... yet :D

This type of chopping block is associated with the "Chinese" cooking, which my wife does well, and enjoys, so she wanted this kind of chopping block, I guess I'll have to get her a cleaver next :eek:

Oh yeah, ones this big and thick sell for around $200..... :D

Thanks guys

The top is flat (mostly) and I thought about a blood groove, but my lovely wife, thought it would be harder to "Wipe" down after use :dunno:

I used a recess on the bottom for the Titan chuck, so if it needs a groove, I can return it to the lathe to re-turn :D :wave:

Cheers!