Neander Push Stick

Tom Henry

I wanted to practice at making a backsaw handle and need a new push stick so I said what the heck... I have the pattern if anyone is interested...I thought it would be pretty funny combining neander with power. The last photo is the LN hat that was signed by Tom Lie-Nielsen, Mario Rodriguez, Chris Schwarz and Adam Cherubini.:D

DSC01195_new.JPG

DSC01196_new.JPG

DSC01197_small.JPG

DSC01198_new.JPG

Looks great! How's it work? You do of course realize that with a power tool, you push right through, no need to stroke back and forth!;)

Very nicely done Tom :thumb:

First thought I had when I saw your pic...............

I ought to make something similar.:D

Then.........................:huh:

Naw. I'd end up getting it all cut up when ripping thin strips.;):D

I don't plan one using this one on the really thin strips...try and keep it as long as I can...:p

Nice looking piece, BUT...

For practical use, I think the 'catch lip' is too far to the rear, and the handle is too low - too close to the table.

In use, by the time the trailing edge of the workpiece is passing through the blade, your hand, curled around the handle, has passed very close to the blade. I kinda see it as an accident-in-waiting. It'd only work well so long as the blade is kept very low.

Personally - and it is a very personal thing, I guess - I want the handle to be well above the blade, and the catch lip to be ahead of the handle.

Of course, that's just my opinion. YMMV

Nice looking piece, BUT...

For practical use, I think the 'catch lip' is too far to the rear, and the handle is too low - too close to the table.

In use, by the time the trailing edge of the workpiece is passing through the blade, your hand, curled around the handle, has passed very close to the blade. I kinda see it as an accident-in-waiting. It'd only work well so long as the blade is kept very low.

Personally - and it is a very personal thing, I guess - I want the handle to be well above the blade, and the catch lip to be ahead of the handle.

Of course, that's just my opinion. YMMV

As far as safety...that is totally up to the operator. I am not going to put my fingers at risk just for a nifty push stick. I will use it for larger pieces and like I said it was for practicing making a backsaw handle. The position of the your hand pushing stock through the blade is very comfortable in this position as well. It can be altered to your liking...

Well, Aren't we special.... And why knot? Who says a tool has to look like a stick. Ornateness is unnecesary but pleasant to see and fun to use. Thanks for the posting and a great idea. I may copy with permission.

Well, Aren't we special.... And why knot? Who says a tool has to look like a stick. Ornateness is unnecesary but pleasant to see and fun to use. Thanks for the posting and a great idea. I may copy with permission.

Sure you can...I will give you the pattern if you PM me your email. It is too big to post the PDF.

As far as safety...that is totally up to the operator. I am not going to put my fingers at risk just for a nifty push stick. I will use it for larger pieces and like I said it was for practicing making a backsaw handle. The position of the your hand pushing stock through the blade is very comfortable in this position as well. It can be altered to your liking...

Same here. When I make mine, the angle and handle will be higher. I'll pm. Thanks.

I will give you the pattern if you PM me your email. It is too big to post the PDF.
If anyone has anything big like this that they would like to link to in their posts, feel free to email it to me at KerryKJB1@juno.com. I will place the file in the http://www.bbburma.net/Woodworking/ directory and send you back the URL to use.

A friend and I are sharing a business-level hosting account, with GOBS of webspace and GOBS of monthly data transfer. Our usage is barely scratching the surface of either capacity. (Between the two of us, after a year we have filled a whopping 3GB out of 100GB of space. And we're seeing about 2.5GB of data transfer a month ... out of 2,500GB available!)