Old paint options

Al killian

A lady that I fixed a few peices for in the past has asked me to redo a old crib for her. The problem is it has lead paint on it and I am not sure if it would be wise to just repaint it and if so what type of paint would be best. Second option in wich I feel more comfortable doing is a chemical strip, then a have nice clean wood to work with. With the lead based paint I just worry of it being in contact with kids. If I paint over it will the lead leach thru or worse start peeling the fresh paint and cause more problems. Just wondering what would be the best method. I do have a room that is setup with automotive type paintboth filters to cath any stray dust before it goes out side, so that is not a problem.

Al,
I'd strip it to bare wood, the refinish with kid-safe materials.

The big problem here it that the little buggers tend to chew on their cribs, toys, etc, and that's where the lead problem comes in. If you were to paint over the lead, the kid could still chew through the new finish and get into the old nasty stuff.

Better to be cautious - and safe.

The issue with Lead Paint is kids eat chipping paint. I don't think just being around lead paint is an issue. I have to address this when doing Appraisals and Home Inspections. There is never an issue unless it is peeling and/or chipping.

If it is not chipping, it's not really a problem. But as Jim said you do have to deal with teething toddlers chewing on it. So stripping it is probably safer. But not a lot of fun!

Al,
I would agree with everything others have said and add this. Cribs are one of the items it is recommended not to reuse. Older cribs have lots of issues, lead paint being only one of them. I realize this is for a client. I am just thinking that before you spend a lot of effort, she may want to reconsider using an old crib.
I know it seems a bit over zealous, but I'm just concerned about the child. Have her check http://www.cpsc.gov/ and do a search on cribs. Their recommendations in a nutshell:
A firm, tight-fitting mattress
No loose, missing, or broken hardware or slats
No more than 2 3/8" between the slats (about the width of a soda can)
No corner posts over 1/16" high
No cutout designs in the headboard or footboard

FWIW,
Wes

Wes, Thanks for the link. I seen the peice the other day and it is a honey colored varnish. I showed here the list and she told me it will only get used for her collection of dolls.:dunno: After talking to her she decided that when I get healed up she wants me to strip it down and put a light mahogany stain on it to make the rest of the peices in that room. Some pepole make no sense, but as long as they has the cash I have no problem refinishing there stuff. Maybe its time to to up my prices even more.