Chop Chop, also

Art Mulder

Made two of these on the weekend, to go with the third one I'd made a week prior

1- Maple and Purpleheart
oct07-maple-purpleheart.jpg

2- Oak and Redheart
oct07-oak-redheart.jpg

3- Maple, Walnut, and Yellowheart
oct07-maple-walnut-yellowheart.jpg

(yellowheart has an interesting scent when you cut it.)

These are getting stashed away for a charity silent auction coming up in the new year.

Not as thick as Stu's, but I like 'em anyway.

Great looking Art!

I specially like the one with redwood, I've got to do something with that wood although it is not easy to find it here...:(

Thanks for the kind words, folks.
I find cutting boards to be a source of quick satisfaction. It doesn't take long to make them, and the colour combinations are quite pleasing.

I specially like the one with redwood, I've got to do something with that wood although it is not easy to find it here...:(

Toni, it is redheart (which I understand is another word for Chakte kok) not redwood.

Very nice! Was it planned that the top one (maple / walnut) would have the hole to make the walnut just visible inside?

:huh: Mark, the top photo is maple+purpleheart. I'm not sure what you're asking. I don't do a lot of planning with these. I see what I've got in the pile, I rip them into strips, and lay them out in a pleasing fashion, glue them up, plane it down, and then give it a bit of shape.

For instance, the maple/walnut/yellowheart board had a slight gap between the laminations at one end, so that is where the 'hand hole' had to go, and it had to be a pretty big hole, to drill right through the gap.

is that what you meant?

Great job on all three boards, Art. I agree with you about the smell yellowheart gives off when it being cut. Not unpleasant, but different for sure.

Um, I'm writing this one off to the drugs I'm on*, but I actually meant the middle one, with oak and redheart. What was I thinking when I was typing earlier? Was I thinking when I was typing earlier?? :huh:

* Large doses of antibiotics for sinus infection that seems, knock on the scrap pile, to be clearing up.

Last edited:
Do you hand plane them or put them through a thickness planer?

I put them through my DW735 planer. I take very light cuts (usually a 1/4 turn of the wheel, maybe 1/3 turn) and run it at the slow speed.

Last year I did some end grain boards. Those I tried hand planing, and it was tough. I also did some sanding, but ended up visiting an acquaintance with a 16" drum sander, which did a really nice job.

I put them through my DW735 planer. I take very light cuts (usually a 1/4 turn of the wheel, maybe 1/3 turn) and run it at the slow speed.

Last year I did some end grain boards. Those I tried hand planing, and it was tough. I also did some sanding, but ended up visiting an acquaintance with a 16" drum sander, which did a really nice job.

Could you run an end grain board through a planer?