Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Egging you on............. a Challenge.........

Egging you on............. a Challenge.........

I know a good challenge can bring out the best in most of us, so here is mine to all you turners out there.

Try to turn some eggs.........

Don't bother with sanding, or finish, just turn something that looks like an egg.

I know the more experienced guys will be able to do this with little effort, but some of the new guys, or us with limited spindle work skills will have to work a little harder at it.

here is my collection since Sunday.........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eggs.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	13561

You can see my evolution, I'm getting better, but they still need work.

I'm using a Bedan to do this, and I'm learning a great deal, does not take very long, and the wood I'm using are scraps. I do not worry about the ends being perfect, the form is more important to me, and the practice, so, if you are up for it, "Get Cracking"

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

My dad will be in town this weekend...we will both try a couple. I told him I would have the shop...err garage sorta clean by then so it will have to wait until then.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Those are cool, Stu! Good stuff.

We had a guy demo how to turn an egg in one of our recent local club meetings. He used a piece of PVC pipe as a chuck to finish the parted end. Worked really well.
    I may be lost but I'm making good time!
    Three Seasons Woodturnings

Stu, I assume your first one is on the left and your last one is on the right. That being said the one on the right looks spot on.

Now, you know turners hate challenges.........................

Stu, make it interesting and turn some egg shaped boxes. I have turned a hand full of boxes in the shape of eggs and I promise that is quite a challenge.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

A year or so ago I turned some eggs for a "Who's Your Mamma" display at the Ogden Nature Center. In the display there are the eggs and the pictures of the birds that lay them and the kids are supposed to guess how they match up. The eggs are turned to the actual size and shape of the real ones and my daughter painted them like the real eggs. If I remember right, they are l to r, top to bottom, Pelican, Golden Eagle, Wild Turkey, Great Horned Owl, Raven, Kildeer, Robin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bird eggs.jpg  

Egg boxes would be cool, but yeah, I could see that as being hard to do.....

Curt, them eggs do look real!

Come on people, get cracking!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Ya i think I need to practice making a fwe of those. Got my bedan sharpened the way Jean-Francois showed me with the ever so slight hollow grind.

Give it a whirl

Two things that are important, to me, one is to use a dead center as your drive, this way when, WHEN you have a catch, it is not such a "pucker" moment........

The second things is, as you put the bedan to the wood, at a 45, with the bottom, the flat rubbing, push up, then roll it over, this point of pushing up, very slightly, was a really big thing for me, it just makes the whole cut way easier.

Good luck, post some pics!
    William Arthur Ward

While I'm at it, I'll show you what I'm doing.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egg_start.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	13568 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egg_halfway.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	13569 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egg_almost_done.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	13570

At the start, I make a small tenon on each end, this way I'll not run into the drive center, or the live center. I then to one end, usually the short end first, and then the long end. I change up which end goes to the headstock after on or two, this way, I'm not practicing the same cut on one side all the time.

I do not bother with sanding or finish, you get a good finish, almost as nice as the skew, with the bedan, but like I said, these are just for practice, so no use spending time on finishing them.

If I was making them to keep, I'd use a longer piece of wood, and turn a MT#2 tenon on it, stick that in the head stock, and turn away, I'd remove the tail stock to finish up that end, then I'd part off the headstock end.

For practice, this is quick and easy, and uses less wood.

The Dead center I'm using is a nice longer one, this helps, as I'm right handed and the large head of the DVR gets in the way, the longer drive center helps with that. I got this drive center from Jean-Francois, he just gave it too me.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward