No2 Jewel Grinder -resto started

Here is the motor tag. It was made by Howell Electric Motors.

motor_tag.jpg

Todays accomplishments. My main data site was down all day so I couldn't get any work done. So I worked on this between checking the web site to see if it was back up.

assy6.jpg

assy7.jpg

assy8.jpg

I need to find some screws to hold the gear motor in place. Touch up some paint.... maybe. Not sure. I expect this to get a lot of use. Then wire up some switches. All I will need then area some sanding drums.

Haven't had much luck finding tall sanding drums for it. I can find some 3" wide but I would like the really long ones. Then there is the issue of the 1/2" shaft. Most have 1/4" for use in the drill press. I am thinking buying a 1/2" OD bushing and then cutting on side and seeing if that won't clamp down on the shaft.

Oh yea. I found the word PATENTED on the side of the table when I cleaned it up. But now Paten number!:bang: Thought I was finally going to find something on it.

Oh, sorry Wes :eek:
No problem Matt - at least I know someone out there is listening!:rofl::thumb:

Well, so much for the motor co. theory! It looks great. The top looks new - no deep gouges or scratches. Wish I could help with the sanding sleeves. I don't even know where one would get them for a States unit - not that I have to worry about that.:rolleyes:

Wes

...Haven't had much luck finding tall sanding drums for it. I can find some 3" wide but I would like the really long ones. Then there is the issue of the 1/2" shaft. Most have 1/4" for use in the drill press. I am thinking buying a 1/2" OD bushing and then cutting on side and seeing if that won't clamp down on the shaft....

Jeff,
For the shaft adapter, what about using an ½~¼ router bit adapter? They're readily available, and already slotted.

Jim, I knew I had seen them but I couldn't remember where. Thanks! I will just get a couple of those. There are a few drums with 1/2" shafts but not many.

Matt, I found the Howell Motors too. Didn't go to anything but the start page. Didn't figure it would help me out much.

Looking good. Thanks for the description on the oscillation mechanism. Especially on an R/I motor - quite an expensive armature and stator set up. Even so, how much stroke does the machine have? Tall sanding drums may not buy you that much. I don't mention this to be a downer, i'd just hate to see significant effort in coming up with very tall drums if something more "off the shelf" would already give you the maximum performance for the type of work you do (thickness of wood plus the stroke depth - not much point in going too much taller than that).

At any rate - nice job. I'm jealous on two fronts -
1) great machine. I've been looking for an OSS in my budget for some time now.
2) how is it that you got the machine less than 2 weeks ago and it's already practically rebuilt? Where do you find the time?

Keep on having fun.
Paul Hubbman

How do I get so much done? Simple. GET UP OFF THAT COUCH! :D
That and I am self employed, so I have free time sometimes during the day. I have have TO MUCH free time right now.

As for spindle lengths I have a big advantage with this one over most (all?) other OSS's don't have. If you notice I can raise and lower the table height independent of the spindle. Probably 4-5" of adjustment. So if a spot gets dull I can move the table up to a fresh spot on the spindle.

Now I agree that 95% of the time you don't need a 4"+ tall spindle, but it would be nice to have for that 5% for the time. If I could find the rubber sleeve, I could make my own from some bar stock very easily. I think I am going to try the ones that use standard sheet sandpaper. But I am concerned about the paper holding up. Afraid it will have a short life. That it will tear easy.

As for the stroke length, I haven't measured it yet but its around 3/8 to 1/2". Seems short to me, but when I was loading this one Mike had one of the BIG industrial edge sanders he had just bought and it only oscillated 1/2".

...I agree that 95% of the time you don't need a 4"+ tall spindle, but it would be nice to have for that 5% for the time. If I could find the rubber sleeve, I could make my own from some bar stock very easily. I think I am going to try the ones that use standard sheet sandpaper. But I am concerned about the paper holding up. Afraid it will have a short life. That it will tear easy...

Jeff,
The Delta BOSS uses 4" or 5" long drums, and they also are a half inch bore, so they'd likely work just fine for what you want to do. They come in five or six diameters, from about 1" up through 3".

Also, I have one of those drums that is made to hold the regular sandpaper, and you're right in questioning paper life. It's very short compared to 'regular' sanding sleeves.

Jeff, if the spindle is the issue, maybe it would be worth a try to make one? Get a 1/2 by 1/4 sleeve (or make one from some bar stock) Then get a long high grade bolt long and cut the head off. Put the head in the bushing and affix it by welding or cross-drilling for a pin. Or call in a favor from a friend with a metal lathe.

The stroke is pretty short compared to some of the new ones I looked up:
Jet - 1-1/2"
Grizzly - 1-1/2"
Delta BOSS - 3/4"

Also, according to the BOSS specs, it has a 1/2" spindle. I think they are 4-1/2" high from what I could find on their site. Then again it also said the BOSS has a miter slot.

I tried to look up property tax and deed records for the address of Motor City Machine to see if I could find any clues about them, but all I could get without paying is that it is currently owned by the City of Detroit.

Edit, Jim posted the same findings on the BOSS sleeves as I was typing this.

I KNOW WHAT IS/WAS!

Just got answer on what this machines original use. It was a metal working machine, a profile grinder. I posted over at Practical Machinist and got this answer:

Boyar Schultz made two or three different sizes of profile grinder. I owned a small size No. 1, which was a bench model. They have tilting tables and a spindle that holds 1/4" shank mounted wheels or carbide burs. I believe they were used to make sheet metal blanking dies and punches. They have adjustable travel above the table, so they can also do work in molding cavities.

Basically it was used to polish or very fine grinding of metal. Kind of like I suspected. Was telling a friend about it and he suspected it was used to polish metal. Thats when I thought to post over on PM forum.

Nice to know what it was. But no one had heard of Motor City Machine though.