The Lusting continues

Bill Simpson

Forgive me Father for I have Lusted..... Another confession.... Today I passed a tree in a fellow's front yard and on the side of that grand old tree was a Burl, Like a giant Wart on a witch's nose I swear I could just take my chainsaw and slice off the lump and never harm the tree, A bowl would emerge that would be large enough for a salad serving bowl. That wasn't bad enough but I had to run an errand that caused me to pass that tree, again.... and returning, I saw it again. I Lusted so many times today that I was almost ashamed to go home....

Thanks, it good to get it off my chest...

Bill, keep lusting and keep watching. There was (was, I say) a burl covered tree just a little over a mile up the road from me for years. I lusted after that tree every time I drove past it. It even came close, very close, to being in my possession a few years ago, when the homeowner wanted them taken down to help sell the house. She wanted me to do all the removal though, and while I would have been glad for the wood, she wanted me to do things I had no skills or tools for doing, like taking down trees right by the road and between houses and wires! :eek:

The new guy bought the house and he turned out to own his own tree service. Then he put in an outdoor furnace just like mine. :( I figured that was the end of the tree. But no! I stopped and introduced myself to talk about the furnaces and another tree he was cutting, and in the course of the conversation, the burl tree came up. Within a week he decided to take it down, and now the burls are sitting in the secured burl barn waiting to go on the lathe. So don't give up just yet. You never know...

Bill

There is a tree on the way to my kids school that will be coming down in the next 2-20 years, as it is in the way of a major road expansion, it has a big stonking burl on it. I want to tie my name an telephone number and a message like "I want this wood, will trade COLD beer for it" and put it in a sealed pouch........... But, my wife thinks that is too much........ :dunno:

I guess I'll have to show her the prices of some small chunks of burl..... :eek: :D :rolleyes: :thumb:

Stuart - I don't think it's enough - up the ante by adding some warm sake to the cold beer and you might just get yourself a burl to play with! :rofl:
Mark I guess it would depend on the time of year :thumb:

FYI "Warm" sake is usually the absolute "Plonk" or crap........ Take a little trip with me :D

Good sake is just Rice, Water and yeast, really, that is it, the type of rice, water and yeast will all change and there are better versions of everything, so the taste of the sake will be very different, depending on what is used.

Now that is "Good" sake, like a "Real" beer, for example (sake and beer are both "Brewed").

Now the crap national brand stuff, is different, they brew it from low cost materials, and then they cut it with water, significantly, and add "brewers alcohol" to it to bring the alcohol content back up to the 16% to 18% range. This alcohol that is added is grain alcohol, as in distilled, not brewed. If you drink sake and get a splitting headache from it, this is why, this stuff is again, cheap grog.

Now this is where the "warming up" thing comes into play. When you warm up "Good Sake" you often destroy the taste of the sake, as a lot of good sake is "Nama" meaning "unpasteurized" and heating it up will boil off the alcohol content and the best tasting and smelling ingredients, thus, good sake is almost NEVER warmed up, you would not heat up your favorite pint of real ale would you? The saving grace of the cheap sake is that, well, it is cheap, but also that it is good for warming up, as the grog, distilled alcohol, the stuff that gives you a headache, is the first stuff to float away as you heat it, so heating cheap sake actually improves the taste...........most likely a LOT more than you wanted to know...... :eek:

Anyways, back on track.......

lust1.JPG lust2.JPG
........here are two pics of the burl I'm talking about, it is about 18" in diameter, and 8" (?) thick. The tree is "Sakura" which is known as "Japanese Ornamental Cherry", the ones famous for the cherry blossoms in the spring time. not too much straight timber in this tree, but lots of interesting stuff for turning for sure! :thumb:

Sure Hope I get it

Wow Stu, that looks like this:

cherryburltrunk.jpg

which ended up looking like this:

cherryvase02.jpg

This was an ornamental cherry as well, and I suppose it could be the same variety. The bark and the bump sure look alike. Good luck with getting your hands on it!

Bill,
Put that tree on your 'Storm List'. Within a few hours of most big thunderstorms here I grab my chainsaw and go for a ride. There are five addresses on my Storm List all burly trees. It gotten to be such a habit that my wife will say during a storm, 'I change my clothes so I'm ready to go with you'

Frank

Frank, I've never thought of making a list! I always go out looking, but to have a few must "drive bys" is a great idea!!:thumb::thumb: