Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urn for Dog Cremains

Urn for Dog Cremains

Hello,

Sorry, I'm just not in the mood right now to use the search function.

Put my best little girl to sleep this morning and it's hitting me hard.

We get to pick her ashes up in about a week, and I was wondering if anyone had any plans, or guidlines for sizes, for an urn/box for her ashes.

She weighed about 70 pounds.

Apparently, at some point in the night, a tumor on her spleen ruptured and she was just too far gone by the time we got her to the vet...

Thanks in advance for your help on this....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binky_small.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	13576
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

sorry brent!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Brent, I feel your pain. We have had several pets put to sleep when they just aren't having any fun any longer.

We had one of our cats cremated and we only got a little bag of ashes, about 1/2 cup, back in a box that looked like a small jewelry box. I suggest that you check with the vet and find out what you can expect to get back. I got the impression that the owner gets just a token amount of the ashes, but I am not sure.

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the responses,

I feel I need to make a suitable container. Especially since this little girl literally was the controlling force in the household of my Wife and I and her slightly older brother...

This is my first 'pet death'. We probably made a mistake by getting two dogs about the same age. We had this little girl for about 11 years.

I think we gave here a pretty good last year though, as she's been able to run free chasing chukar, quail, lizzards and tweety birds to her hearts content since we moved to our little patch of desert.... So I'm thankful for that...

Funny thing is she died from the exact same thing that killed my neighbors lab, and almost killed my slightly older lab (but his wasn't cancerous)...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Brent, I believe that the "rule of thumb" is that you allow one cubic inch of space in an urn for each pound of the dog's weight. That translates for all mammals, I understand.

I am SO sorry about your little girl. Been there--it isn't fun.

Nancy (66 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I can't help with the answer to your question Brent. But I certainly offer sympathy. It is a tough time for your family.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Sorry to hear the news. One of our dog's ashes, about 85#, came back to us in a 10X4.5X3.75 cedar box, Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I hope you and your family make it through the situation as best you can.

It's weird. I mean, I love my dogs. I completely understand the difference between people/kids and dogs. But my LOML and I married kind of late in life and kids just weren't/aren't in the picture.

That being said, these dang little canines sure have a way of working themselves into your hearts. It's been about 10 hours now and I'm starting to get back to feeling somewhat normal.

At any rate, Thanks for all the nice replies. It's helping me to get back to somewhat normal,

if you're a dog lover you get it when you read these responses...if you're not a dog lover they probably sound strange. but i am a dog lover and i've tried to understand what it is about dogs that makes them so special.

my conclusion is that we could all learn something important from dogs. they are always glad to see you, like you're the long lost friend they missed even if you've only been gone a few hours. no pretense...they just plain love you. who can resist that? wouldn't it be great if we could all accept each other without trying to change anything? ah...but i forget...dogs don't have egos.
    99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name...Steven Wright.