Urn for Dog Cremains

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry, I'm just not in the mood right now to use the search function.

Put my best little girl to sleep this morning and it's hitting me hard.

We get to pick her ashes up in about a week, and I was wondering if anyone had any plans, or guidlines for sizes, for an urn/box for her ashes.

She weighed about 70 pounds.

Apparently, at some point in the night, a tumor on her spleen ruptured and she was just too far gone by the time we got her to the vet...

Thanks in advance for your help on this....
binky_small.jpg

Brent, I feel your pain. We have had several pets put to sleep when they just aren't having any fun any longer.

We had one of our cats cremated and we only got a little bag of ashes, about 1/2 cup, back in a box that looked like a small jewelry box. I suggest that you check with the vet and find out what you can expect to get back. I got the impression that the owner gets just a token amount of the ashes, but I am not sure.

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the responses,

I feel I need to make a suitable container. Especially since this little girl literally was the controlling force in the household of my Wife and I and her slightly older brother...

This is my first 'pet death'. We probably made a mistake by getting two dogs about the same age. We had this little girl for about 11 years.

I think we gave here a pretty good last year though, as she's been able to run free chasing chukar, quail, lizzards and tweety birds to her hearts content since we moved to our little patch of desert.... So I'm thankful for that...

Funny thing is she died from the exact same thing that killed my neighbors lab, and almost killed my slightly older lab (but his wasn't cancerous)...

Brent, I believe that the "rule of thumb" is that you allow one cubic inch of space in an urn for each pound of the dog's weight. That translates for all mammals, I understand.

I am SO sorry about your little girl. Been there--it isn't fun.

Nancy (66 days)

It's weird. I mean, I love my dogs. I completely understand the difference between people/kids and dogs. But my LOML and I married kind of late in life and kids just weren't/aren't in the picture.

That being said, these dang little canines sure have a way of working themselves into your hearts. It's been about 10 hours now and I'm starting to get back to feeling somewhat normal.

At any rate, Thanks for all the nice replies. It's helping me to get back to somewhat normal,

if you're a dog lover you get it when you read these responses...if you're not a dog lover they probably sound strange. but i am a dog lover and i've tried to understand what it is about dogs that makes them so special.

my conclusion is that we could all learn something important from dogs. they are always glad to see you, like you're the long lost friend they missed even if you've only been gone a few hours. no pretense...they just plain love you. who can resist that? wouldn't it be great if we could all accept each other without trying to change anything? ah...but i forget...dogs don't have egos.

Real sorry to hear about your little girl, Brent. I've had dogs most of my life...each one is special and each one leaves a certain hole in the heart when they have to go. Trust me, the holes do get filled, in time, usually with other pets. I also understand about how they can be surrogate kids, especially for couples like you. (I'm in the same boat.) Clark summed things up nicely in describing why they're so special to "dog people".

Nancy's formula for cubic size is what I've also seen quoted elsewhere.

Brent,
having recently had to send my aged cat to greener pastures, my condolences to you and your wife and your remaining furry friend as well. My younger dog was quite upset when our kitty didn't come home from the vet. Our four legged friends know when things such as that change, from our reactions as much as anything.

Brent ... my wife and I are childless as well, so I know whereof you speak. When we lost our first dog (not even two years old, played with our other two dogs in the river one day, then acted funny the next day and stopped breathing that night) I was in a fog for about 3 days.

The two other dogs (even younger at the time) lived another 12 years or so. We said goodbye to each of them, in turn, with the vet's help. No fun, indeed.

We currently have a pair of 3-year-old yellow Lab sisters ... cuties! It's funny how different each dog has been. I guess that's partly so they can keep you "interested in life", but without taking the place of their predecessors in your heart.

My best wishes as you work through this.... :(