Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resawing long boards

Resawing long boards

How do you guys resaw long boards, lets say 4-6 feet and 1 1/2" thick. I am not sure my saw will even handle it but I find handling pieces that long to resaw a hassle.

Do I need infeed and outfeed tables or would just some roller stands to help support the wood work?

Pics of setups will be accepted.
    Rise above the rest

Do you mean turning 2" boards into 1" boards on a bandsaw? Agreed "hassle" would be an understatement. With my set-up, I couldn't do it. Would have to rearrange shop and, even then, still major hassle. And, I have a big stack of maple and walnut that might be needing it one day. Oh, well.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

here`s how i do it aaron;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-606S.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	13587

Name:	MVC-607S.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	13588
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I've looked into roller supports for just this task (the job was to mill some "small" bits of green lumber) and found that most roller supports do not come up high enough for the bandsaw table. My bandsaw is a stock 14" Harbor Freight plus ~3" due to a homemade mobile base. The 3" would not make a difference as to whether or not the roller stands I've seen would work.

I've though about adding infeed / outfeed supports through a table expansion, but all of my ideas to date regarding this are incompatible with my Kreg fence.

Good luck - I'll be interested in hearing answers too.

Roller stands would be adequate for a short run, however, if you are planning on doing this more and more often or a large run I'd consider true outfeed tables. You can get Aigner (or similar) extension tables that basically hook on a rail mounted to you bandsaw table (which can be taken off and stored easily when not in use), or, since I use my bandsaw as an everyday saw I have a dedicated outfeed table for it. That table is mobile though, in case I needed it as an extra workbench or something similar. The other advantage is you can stack your pieces after they are cut on the outfeed table. For 4-6 footers you should be fine with just outfeed support, but for longer than that I'd consider support on the infeed side, as well. For that I have another roll around utility bench that I use there and many other places in the shop, depending on need. Here's a picture with both tables in use, and on the side of the bandsaw table you can see a mounting bar for my Aigner extension tables, which I use on the side quite often, and on other machines as the need arises.

Mini Max Tool Acquisition Mediator.
    "An old man to most kids and a young man to those who are dead."

www.samantics2.com

That's enough to give a guy 'yours is bigger than mine' envy.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    here`s how i do it aaron;

Name:	MVC-606S.JPG 
Views:	193 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	13587

Name:	MVC-607S.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	13588
    Tod, you don't use any infeed or outfeed support?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blasco View Post
    Roller stands would be adequate for a short run, however, if you are planning on doing this more and more often or a large run I'd consider true outfeed tables. You can get Aigner (or similar) extension tables that basically hook on a rail mounted to you bandsaw table (which can be taken off and stored easily when not in use), or, since I use my bandsaw as an everyday saw I have a dedicated outfeed table for it. That table is mobile though, in case I needed it as an extra workbench or something similar. The other advantage is you can stack your pieces after they are cut on the outfeed table. For 4-6 footers you should be fine with just outfeed support, but for longer than that I'd consider support on the infeed side, as well. For that I have another roll around utility bench that I use there and many other places in the shop, depending on need. Here's a picture with both tables in use, and on the side of the bandsaw table you can see a mounting bar for my Aigner extension tables, which I use on the side quite often, and on other machines as the need arises.
    Sam, I tried just using outfeed support, but doing that I would have to stand at the end of the board, far away from the bandsaw, and in doing that I can't keep the wood pressed up against the fence well enough to make a good cut. I don't have much room for long tables but a couple of feet infeed & outfeed would help, as long as they can be removed maybe like the ones you mentioned. Got a link to those Aigner tables you mentioned, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I just hate buying 1 3/4" or thicker wood and just chewing it all up in the planer to get it down to 1 1/4" but thats my only choice until I find a better resaw option.
    Last edited by Aaron Beaver; 10-17-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Rise above the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    *sigh* You're not kidding!

Sam, major tool and shop envy as usual here.

Aaron,
    Back when I had a working shop (hobbyist, not pro like many here) I rarely had need of a board longer than say 4' long. As for resaw and thicknessing, I made it a practice of buying 5/4 or 4/4 roughsawn, to yield 7/8 to 3/4 'finished' thickness. Yep, tons o planer shavings, but that's just part of woodworking for me. Someday I'll have a resaw capable bandsaw, I hope...
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    That happens to me quite a bit here and many other places as well! Thought I had a big BS on eBay, but someone grabbed it last minute....Ah to dream.....
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post
    Tod, you don't use any infeed or outfeed support?
    aaron, i have about 3` of outfeed support after the table. enough to resaw 18`x8/4x15" stock by myself. no infeed support other than me
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]