Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Stations?

Sharpening Stations?

I know that there are a lot of you that use the slow or veritable speed grinders for sharpening your different tools. My question is, who uses a belt sander or disc sander? I have 11 different grinders here and have tried most all of them in sharpening the different tools that I use and make and I still go back to the belt and disc sanders to sharpen the tools. The pictures are of a Doug Thompson gouge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01097.JPG   DSC01096.JPG   DSC01095.JPG  
    Randy,

Maker of Fine Lathe Tools & Accessories.

Looks Great Randy, I saw on a AAW sharpening video where Bonnie Klein uses a disc sander to sharpen, she says it is the way to go, just get the right pads for metal, as they are different than the ones for wood

I have the standard slow speed grinder, but I can certainly see the advantages of a belt or disc sander, one is never needing to sharpen it (well, I guess you would have to change belts/discs) and the steel will not heat up much at all.

If I had it to do over, I'd look hard at a belt sander like you have.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

The belt that you see, is probably 2 years old; feels like 800 grit. You don't need a bunch of grit to sharpen your tools. I have other belts I use when I have to put a new profile on a tool, but for the most part I keep using them until they unravel.
    Randy,

Maker of Fine Lathe Tools & Accessories.

Randy, we have a combo belt/disc sander to grind our tools, which we rarely use. To get them polished and ready to use, we use a couple of cotton buffing wheels with red and green rouge. It's surprising how great the tools touch up, rather than having to go through the whole sharpening routine several times during a turning session. I don't think that my skew has seen a grinder yet--just the red and green.

Nancy (64 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

I have been using a blue 80 grit slow wheel until recently. Dunno why, but tried the 1" belt and have stayed with it. I do mine freehand.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Randy that looks pretty neat. I had thought about it but had the slow speed grinder at the time. You can never have enough toys....errrrrr I mean tools.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Randy,

I have been thinking of a one inch belt sander for various uses for several months now.

What brand/model do you have and how do you like it? I have been considering the Viel.
    Cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Privett View Post
    My question is, who uses a belt sander or disc sander?
    As it turns out, Robert Sorby (the company) does!

Our local woodturning club met for our monthly "training" meeting (as opposed to our monthly "demo" meeting) last night, at the Woodcraft store in greater Salt Lake City. Our special guest was Clive Brooks, the product manager for the Robert Sorby company. He went through a quick demo of their "specialty" turning tool lineup.

One of the products he mentioned (but wasn't able to pack in his luggage, I guess ) was the ProEdge Sharpening System.

He didn't talk much about the system, except to say that it was a "junior" version of the one(s) they use in the factory. Apparently all of their tools are hand-sharpened using a belt system ... the only grinding wheels they have in the factory are used on the flutes of gouges in some manner.

So, you're in good company!

I noticed another reason that Clive probably didn't demo the system ... at the bottom of that page I linked to:

"Available only in Europe at the moment."

But it doesn't look like they're the only game in town, anyway. If nothing else, they've got Randy to compete against!

Yes, I cheat with a belt sander as well. I know I should say how I wet grind or have the latest in jigs and fixtures but a simple turn around and touch up with the sander is so easy and quick and simple . I know my mentors would roll over in their handcarved wood coffins but geeze guys.... it is so easy.....