Have you ever had one of those nights?

Jeff Bower

Everything was going great yesterday, no worries at work, no traffic on the way home, daughter went to bed early which means more time in the shop/garage.

I've been cleaning and rearranging since winter's not that far off and the LOML wants to put her car in the garage when it gets cold.:eek: So I'm redoing my benchtop drill press mobile unit and I take it off the base that its attached to. I set the DP on a shelf, lightly put my hand on its base as I bend down to pick up the nuts that fell to the floor....and bam!! The DP falls off the shelf onto my head.:eek::eek: It must have not been completely on the shelf:huh: I immediately feel blood rolling down all sides of my head. Grab a filthy rag and then second guess putting the grease/sawdust/dirt to my newly opened wound, drop it and grab the roll of paper towels. Before I go inside to freak out my wife I actually go back to the DP to see how much damage it done. The top is broken (cheap delta plastic), but no other cosmetic damage. :)

I go inside tell my wife we need to go to the ER. She starts shaking and calls her mom to come over since our daughter is asleep. We get to the ER and the first thing after checking in that I hear from the nurse is, "I gotta tell ya, it's going to be a long wait, at least 2hrs" I say whatever I'm hear what else am I going to do? My SIL comes to get my wife to go home and releave my MIL after about an hour. I sit there another 2.5 hrs before I get in to the DR. 3 staples and another 1/2 hr later I'm out the ER door at 12:30am and home. I would show pics, but my wife didn't want to look at my head...it can't look to good. Long night but I'm back at work...for now, head is throbbing.

Now, how to I check to see if my DP's quill is still true and not out of alignment?:rofl:

Heads sure do bleed eh :rolleyes: :D

Glad you are OK and I hope you can get a laugh out of it at some point.

Hope the drill press is OK.......... you should rename it.......... KILLER....... :D :rofl:

Take some headache pills and call it a night! :wave:

Stu, I'm laughing already...in fact I was right after it happend. My stupidity always makes me (and others) laugh. Will check out the DP later today...like Frank said if it isn't ok, guess I will just need to get a floor model, or maybe I can find something similar to Kermit.

Keep the name ideas coming:rofl:...I like the staple thing.

Mark, they told me I would have shown signs of one...and since I was there 3.5hrs I think there was plently of time for the signs to show.:rolleyes:

Ouch!

I can feel that right across the pond!

Glad you're OK though- can't be too careful with head injuries. It's interesting to hear that the queuing times at A&E* stateside are no less than over here.

Do you really have to get your credit card out before they treat you or is that just Anti-American propaganda?:rolleyes:

*A&E = Accident & Emergency Dept. I've been told to use English terminology to add international colour to the forum!:)

Jeff, Glad to hear you're in one piece again. I've got a headache just reading about it.:(

Wes

PS even if the DP is OK, I think I'd get a floor model just to spite the little bugger!:D

Do you really have to get your credit card out before they treat you or is that just Anti-American propaganda?:rolleyes:

*A&E = Accident & Emergency Dept. I've been told to use English terminology to add international colour to the forum!:)

Duncan, my wife is a counselorfor the local school district which provides great benefits. My insurance is free...yes free, with no deductible and only a $10 copay (paid on dr visits) I think I can hear a vaccum sucking the sudden loss of sympathy for my injury from many of you after typing that.:p

I like the english terms....A&E stand for Anderson Erikson, a local dairy, around here. Great ice cream and cottage cheese, eggnog and milk:D

Here in California, and I think it's the same in all states, the emergency room has to treat anyone who comes in, regardless of their ability to pay. It'd be tough if someone bled to death because they didn't have their insurance or credit card or enough money to put up as security.

Of course, a lot of poor people who can't pay go to the emergency room for non-emergency medical help. I've always wondered why hospitals don't just open a free clinic next door to the emergency room to provide care to those people. It'd be a lot less expensive than treating them in the ER.

Mike

Jeff!

OUCH!!!!

Don't take that bump on the noggin too lightly. I've heard anecdotes about bumps such as that leading to blood clots and all of the adverse reactions stemming from same. Be careful!!

Nancy (64 days)​

Wow--You are lucky you didn't get knocked out and only got cut. And I was thinking my night of staying up until 2AM restoring a customer's server was a bad night.

Nancy, they gave me 2 pages of things to "watch for" in the next few days...thanks for the heads up though.

Matt, I had fun "people watchin" in the ER so the night wasn't all that bad. I've had to stay up all night because of bad computer equip./software before too at a past job and that sounds much worse than getting a few staples. :dunno: Did I mention it was a past job?

Jeff

So glad things turned out well,

When ever LOML learns about something like that she says, so why do you do this? And then she looks at stuff I've done, smiles and says, Oh yeah, I remember!

Jay

Work/play safe!

Not to be too obvious with the name suggestion, but how about "Head Banger"?
headbang.gif