Building a gambrel roof barn

Steve Ash

I posted a picture on Ned's thread and was asked a question about my gambrel roof barn....not wanting to hijack Ned's thread I thought I'd start this one.

I have always loved the old gambrel roof barns, some people call them hip roof barns, but that is inaccurate for the roof style in most old barns.

We had several of these barns on our different farms and the one on my farm I converted to farrow/finish pigs in. The barn, like a lot of them got dry rot which we didn't catch quick enough and the old barn needed to be torn down.

When my wife and I moved back here we were looking for an old gambrel barn and a farm house but couldn't find anything and we needed to get something built. So on this 30 acres I built a 32 x 48 pole barn and my new home (1997)

I decided this spring that I was going to build a small gambrel barn ( 18 x 24 ). I'd like it bigger, but I have it figured out that I can store my JD 3020, my lawn mower, rototiller, misc. yard and garden tools a warm place for the dogs to get into and have enough room to feed out up to 10-12 hogs. Upstairs can be straw storage and a place to put lumber I use for my woodworks addiction, to keep dry until I am ready for it. This barn is classified as agriculture so I didn't need to buy a permit but trust me, it will be built code plus.

I have an idea that this barn will take me at least a year to build in my "spare" time and not wanting to pay the $$$ upfront. I am always building for someone else, so my stuff doesn't take first priority. I have access to left over materials from my jobs at times so that will help defray costs..

The first day....
100_3397.jpg

The next chance I had to work on it....months later , we added the floor joists.
100_3589.jpg

then a few weeks later we began building and setting the site made rafters.
100_3591.jpg

I got a real good deal on some new steel that a guy bought and decided he didn't want any more. Even though the grey is not my color of choice I still used it for the backside and will paint it red later on. The steel as you see in the picture only cost me $65.00 ..red and the grey.I can afford to paint it for that.
100_3588.jpg

We had a tornado go through the neighborhood before all the roof sheething got on, but I was lucky and the tornado missed me. It made me think I better get the rest of the sheething on and get it stiffened up a bit.
100_3679.jpg

I like the looks of a "prow" on a gambrel roof barn so I added one. I also think it will be handy to move stuff to the upstairs using a pulley or a block and tackle. It also would be handy to hang my deer (if I ever get one) or maybe one of the boys will get a deer....at any rate I figured it needed one.
100_3680.jpg

I added 3/4" o.s.b for the upstairs floor and here is how the building looks as of now. I still need to install a entrance door, two windows in the first floor, one window upstairs, a slider door below, one above....and still run steel for bothe ends and one eave. I also think I will extend a "lean to" roof off the back side.
100_3760.jpg

As it stands in the last picture, I have close to $1900.00 into materials cost.

Steve

Thanks
Like I say it looks great and I hope to put something up someday either here or somewhere. However being on the high side of 60 I need to get at it. If I was to build here It would have to be nearer the size of Ned's but I would prefer the post construction as you have used.

But as I said that is one great looking barn....!:thumb:

Garry

Steve

Looks good. Always struck me as a practical design as well as good looking. I presume that the last picture should be subtitled "Come on Dad, put down the camera and throw a stick!!"

Looking good, Steve. It's "nice" to know that I'm not the only one who is slow on their projects.

In that last photo I see a little "flare-out" on the roof where it gets down to the eaves. Is that for looks, or does it serve a purpose? (Throw the rain water away from the structure?)

In that last photo I see a little "flare-out" on the roof where it gets down to the eaves. Is that for looks, or does it serve a purpose? (Throw the rain water away from the structure?)

Naw, he just realized that the doorway on that side was too small to get that tractor out, so he pushed the wall out 8 inches or so, and had to do the little flare thing on the roof......................

(Kidding............running and hiding...............:D) :wave:

Looking good, Steve. It's "nice" to know that I'm not the only one who is slow on their projects.

Yeah...this one is a slow process cause it's mine...the old every one has shoes but the cobblers kids scenario....

The little "flares" are to get water away from the building to some degree but for me it just makes it look "right"....handy place to hang gutters too:thumb:

Naw, he just realized that the doorway on that side was too small to get that tractor out, so he pushed the wall out 8 inches or so, and had to do the little flare thing on the roof..................

:huh::dunno: hmmm, might just be a idea there somewhere....:huh:

The things people with limited space will come up with.

They love to play fetch, but we got a tennis ball thrower called Chuck-It easier to throw and you can really whip a ball waaaay out there.

LOML used to take a tennis racket up to the high school and launch tennis balls for one of ours. It was cheaper than a real launcher, and still gave her some exercise. At 12+ years old, Cory would still try to chase the ball, that is if she could see it! Jim.
(My avitar is a picture of Cory when she was about 4.)