Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gold Leaf....................DONE!!!

Gold Leaf....................DONE!!!

I need some advice on doing some gold leaf.

I have a project for a customer, and they want something really artsy, and eye catching (they are rich, and like their "bling")

I suggested some gold leaf in one of my turnings they like the sound of REAL GOLD so I'm off to the races :

I've got the gold leaf, the glue, and brushes, and I have a basic idea on what to do.

This is the turning I want to add the gold leaf too, in the middle cup or bowl area. I'll also be adding some accents around the cup, very minor ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold_inlay.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	13685

This is what I know of the process so far.

You have to get it really smooth, sand it, and sand it again, I've read that applying sanding sealer several times and sanding up to #800 is a good idea, as you want a really smooth surface.

Then you apply the glue and wait for it to tack, it should be almost dry, but not quite. You put the gold on, and then pad it gently into place, with a smooth balled up tissue. Then, let it dry, best over night, once dry, you use a soft dry brush to brush out any loose gold leaf that did not get stuck in place with glue.

Big-time question, after the gold leaf, do you seal it with anything? The rest of the piece will be rattle can lacquer then buffed out, is it OK to do the rattle can lacquer over the gold leaf? ???

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

PS this is one half of the wood from this thread..........

No place for a resaw...??
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 10-31-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

you`re safe to lacquer over gold leaf stu........i was taught to apply the leaf with a brush, but any way to get it stuck will work.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Stu,

In Jimmy Clewes video, he applies the gold leaf with a sable brush. I can't remember what he sealed it with and I left the video at work.

Pete, that is where I got the idea from!

On his "Blue" piece. In the DVD, he does not say anything about sealing it at all

Why I want to know is, for finishing, I've got the sealer coat on, the whole thing, but I like the idea of putting the leaf on while the piece is still chucked up, easier to do (I hope) and the sable brush at the end to knock off any excess leaf should be good too.

Unfortunately I do not have the leaf on transfer paper, they were out of "Real" gold, so I got it in this container that has a bunch pieces in it, might be a real pain to work with?

Oh well, that is another advantage to leaving the piece chucked up, if I don't like the leaf job, I'll just sand it off

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu

That looks great! Now, if they were REALLY rich you could convince them to get a gold cylinder, pop in a forstner bit, slide in the cylinder and glue (CA? or epoxy) turn out the depression

Hey tell them you'll do the job for materials and it will be free if you get to keep the tailings!

Oh, too much coffee too early in the morning

Off for a bike ride with LOML

Jay

Well, they are rich, but, they are not the "Benevolent" rich type, if you know what I mean
    William Arthur Ward

As far as the leaf application I am not sure, however since you are turning, if your gold leaf will circumnavigate the piece, you may consider making some ever so tiny grooves which will afford you the opportunity for crisp stopping points.
    It is a very striking piece thus far. Thanks for the photo.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thanks Shaz, the transitions cuts, yeah, that is what I mean by the acents.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

OK, got a "practice" piece done, I'm somewhat pleased.

The glue really dried too fast, so I had to do it twice, and the loose bits of leaf are certainly the wrong way to go, I need to get them on transfer paper.

To stop the glue from drying so fast, I really, REALLY need to build up a much better foundation of lacquer, fairly thick, that will stop the moisture in the glue from being drawn into the wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice1.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	13689 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice2.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	13690

Looks OK, but I can do better.

The accents look too big on this small piece, but on the real one, the piece is quite a bit larger, so they should look OK.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

That's going to look great on your piece!