Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: transition pieces - All done!

Smile transition pieces - All done!

Well, back in May my wife and I replaced the carpeting in the bedroom hallway with laminate flooring. The place we got the flooring from didn't have the right color transition pieces and due to a spatial transposition reality - brain disconnect (a goof) one of the transition pieces needs to be a bit wider than the commercially available bits are.

Last night, Ned stopped by to play with the lathe and I spent the evening fiddling with the router table finding the right height and fence stop to get the elliptically rounded over profile I wanted from a friend's bit (part of a Holbren raised panel set - I had to fiddle to get only the 1/3 of the profile that I wanted).

Among other things, I either learned or relearned that if I lock the router (a PC8529) in the "freely plunge" setting and use the above table adjustment know dealie that it is much easier to find a consistent height rather than monkeying around with trying to plunge the router up to a fixed height and locking it down with the plunge lock control. At any event, I now have the router setup to give the profile I want.

My goal for the weekend is to have, at a minimum, the transition pieces all ready for finishing. I'll check back later and post pics to let you all know if I've met my goal.
    Last edited by Mark Kosmowski; 11-02-2007 at 10:39 PM.

Ok, the first one is ready to be finished.

This is the gap that needed to be filled (the transition is in the background).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first.gap.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	13693

Here it is in place.

Name:	first.in.place.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	13692

As you can see, Samantha (the dog) is happily providing "pneumatic assistance" for the project.

Here is the basic profile. The strange shadowing is from me taking the pic upside down.

Name:	profile.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	13691

My wife arrived home from work while I was writing this post and was happy to see it sitting in place (I was waiting for her to get home - she didn't notice at first, I had to point it out) and was happy. Then she picked it up and was really impressed with the (to use our English friends' words) rebate work to account for the variable height surfaces.

Now I need to make 3 more, but my wife says she wants to go to lunch first.

A quick synopsis of what is left: 2 to carpeting, 1 to tile to the bathroom. One of the carpet pieces is the too wide of a gap piece. The bathroom piece will be a bit of a challenge - the whole transition has to live under where the door closes. After construction, finishing with Bush Oil will occur (a 1/3 each tung oil, boiled linseed oil and urethane mix), but I may wait until next weekend to finish. Oh, before finishing, I'll be pre-drilling two holes in each piece (each ~6" from the wall) to put in a coule finish screws to anchor them to the floorboards.

Hope to have more pics later today!

looks good mark

i didn't know you were doing this .... i did 7 of them so far for another buddy out of ash . he did the install and the finish. his wife was also very happy
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

Pretty darn good stuff there !

If you really want a cheap thrill get yourself a Stanley # 289 to do the other ones. OOPs, wrong message board. Those do look nice though. Straight " rebates " ( I LOVE that one ! ) or did you have to ease the backs to fit the floor ?

Nice work,Mark.

I had to do exactly the same thing earlier this year when I fitted solid oak flooring thoughout our house. In a couple of doorways I'd left a gap wider than commercially available solutions, and in a couple of others I had different levels to resolve.

I'm delighted that the English word 'rebate' is becoming widespread throughout America! Here's another one for you;

We call such 'transition pieces' 'thresholds'.

Looking good Mark

Regarding the bathroom piece, don't forget you can always cut the door to get more swing clearance

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Cheslett View Post
    Nice work,Mark.

I had to do exactly the same thing earlier this year when I fitted solid oak flooring thoughout our house. In a couple of doorways I'd left a gap wider than commercially available solutions, and in a couple of others I had different levels to resolve.

I'm delighted that the English word 'rebate' is becoming widespread throughout America! Here's another one for you;

We call such 'transition pieces' 'thresholds'.
    For what its worth, most people here call those thresholds too. Still there is no way you are going to get this guy to stop saying truck. I think my Great Grandfather ten times removed fought hard against the British in 1776 just so he did not have to call a truck a lorry

(I'm just teasing you of course Duncan. I actually love how different countries have different terms for the same thing.)
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

I call a lorry a truck too...

...or a wagon!

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, don't you guys call minivans "people-movers"?

And I may finish and install the one I've made today instead of going forward with construction of the others. I lost a couple hours of milling time yesterday due to the insect infestation that I discovered in one of the pieces of wood I was planning to use for the project and my wife has said that she'd rather have a little extra help with household chores this weekend than the rest get done right now.

Steve, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "ease". I just took measurement from front and back as to where I wanted to place the threshold, this left me with 1" and 1 1/4" wide rebates to be made. I then very carefully and cleverly used my digital calipers to determine that the 1 1/4" rebate needed to be 4 mm deep and the 1" wide rebate needed to be 7.6 mm deep (I got to use the step measurement mode - I'm really glad that my machinist friend took the time once to show me the 800 or so different ways to get measurements with calipers). My jointer (and planer fwiw) have English and metric rules on them, although I confirmed the rebate depth as I got close to the end with the calipers. I also have one tape measure that has both English and metric. When it is a job that needs the calipers, I'll generally do it in metric, as I am not good enough with fractional hexadecimal to know what 0.6030" translates to in x/8 or x/16.
    Last edited by Mark Kosmowski; 10-21-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    At the risk of hijacking my own thread, don't you guys call minivans "people-movers"?
    Depends what you mean by a 'minivan'!

To me a minivan was the van version of the old Mini car - the first vehicle I ever owned was a Mini Van!

I think you mean however, something like this http://www.chrysler.co.uk/grand_voyager/

We would call this an MPV or a 'People Carrier'

But don't all you guys drive pick-up trucks?

And wear baseball caps?
    Last edited by Duncan Cheslett; 10-21-2007 at 01:49 PM.