Shop Cleat System - Pegboard Panel Pre-run

glenn bradley

I plan to have wall cleats running along some walls in the shop for versatility. Time being what it is, my sub-panel and wallboard efforts are getting pretty drawn out. I finally felt like I had to do something besides tear out drywall or run wire.

I plan on a least a couple pegboard panels here and there. This one let me at least make a little sawdust and get an idea of what I might like to do. I keep a lot of tools located near where I use them most. There are a few things that I like to keep handy and centralized because I seem to reach for them for most general things.

I just used some scrap ply for the test cleat and spacer.

pegboard-panel-1.jpg

Same scrap for this short cleat. The permanent cleats will run for some length along the wall and at different heights a-la Wood Magazine's 'Idea Shop 5'. And yes, I will put up the wallboard and patch the holes . . . I'm getting to it . . . really.

pegboard-panel-2.jpg

And here's the general idea. Panels, swing arm lamps, clamp racks, wall cabinets etc. will be movable as life goes on.

pegboard-panel-3.jpg

A lot of blah, blah for just a little thing but I need some kind of milestone to make me feel like I'm making progress and besides . . . we love pictures!

You are right, milestones are important, and give us a sense of accomplishment, and that keeps us going.
Good job! I thought about using the cleats, but decided the salvaged slatwall material from the shop would suffice and allow me to move tools and such around as needed. I don't plan to have any upper cabinets, and If I decide to, then they can mount on the walls without the sections of slatwall, or over it as need be.
But the cleats are a neat idea for being able to change things later. I guess I could have mounted my slatwall on cleats, huh? Had the best of both worlds!! Jim.

I can't find it!

I've been looking for an article by Jock Holmen (the "Norwegian Termite") about a somewhat-different-than-usual cleat system for shop storage. It appeared within in the past few months, in American Woodworker (I think).

Rather than using angled cuts on the edge of sheet material, he uses thicker sheet material for the main support and attaches a strip of thinner material to make a "lip". (I guess you'd have to see it ... or I'd have to draw it.)

Anyway, the cleat-making method was not as impressive to me as the ideas for applying whichever cleat-hung system you use. The application I remember in particular was attaching a cleat to the side(s) of worksurfaces or movable carts so that you could take something off the "storage wall" and hang it right where you're working.

If no one else comes up with the article, I'll try to mount a "magazine clean-up effort" around the house today. :eek:

Last edited:
I can't find it!

I've been looking for an article by Jock Holmen (the "Norwegian Termite") about a somewhat-different-than-usual cleat system for shop storage. It appeared within in the past few months, in American Woodworker (I think).

Rather than using angled cuts on the edge of sheet material, he uses thicker sheet material for the main support and attaches a strip of thinner material to make a "lip". (I guess you'd have to see it ... or I'd have to draw it.)

Anyway, the cleat-making method was not as impressive to me as the ideas for applying whichever cleat-hung system you use. The application I remember in particular was attaching a cleat to the side(s) of worksurfaces or movable carts so that you could take something off the "storage wall" and hang it right where you're working.

If no one else comes up with the article, I'll try to mount a "magazine clean-up effort" around the house today. :eek:

I saw that one Kerry. I remember it as American Woodworker also. I don't subscribe but always check it out at a store I frequent. If I recell correctly the mating pieces were 1/2" ply with a laminated 1/4" ply to form the lip. Interesting nickname for the author. He did appear short of stature and obviously has a sense of humor about it, eh?

Glenn,
The cleat runs are a great idea - I wish I had done that when I was putting my shop together. It would have saved a lot of effort in the near future.:thumb: I need to reorder things a bit - a lot harder now. The idea of having "modules" that move to the work area is outstanding! As Kerry said - whether the built up cleat is used or not - I like it - it makes a lot of sense.

As things progress, please keep us in mind. I for one would like to see what you come up with.

Wes

I found the right magazine pile! It was the November 2006 issue (OK, so it wasn't exactly "in the past few months" :dunno:). The article was called "Hyperorganize Your Shop" ... on pages 44-49.

If I recell correctly the mating pieces were 1/2" ply with a laminated 1/4" ply to form the lip.

Not bad for a year-old memory! Here are the details:

AmericanWoodworker_2006Nov_HyperorganizeYourShop_Photo1.jpg

Interesting nickname for the author. He did appear short of stature and obviously has a sense of humor about it, eh?

Yep! An inset near the end of the article says: "He owns and operates The Norwegian Termite in historic Mendota, Minn." Looks like also has a website called http://www.norwegiantermite.com/