Someone Tar and Feather Me

...You can tell from my post count that I'm new here, but trust me, my new friends, I have a very thick skin. Feel more than free to post your thoughts:thumb:

Well my initial thought was...

Hey Tom! Welcome aboard. :thumb:

I'll let you know if I have any others. :D

BTW, sounds like you've got a great house in the works.

Yours too, Travis. ;)

Glad you liked the pictures and understood what I was talking about. That was a lot of typing...not that I mind though :)

Sounds like you are going to have a nice place and very big. But then again you did say lodge. That is cool and I will be looking forward to the pictures.

By the way what part of Nebraska are you from? I have been to every point on the compass in that state from Lincoln, to Alliance, to Crawford to Scotts Bluff and even to a tiny, tiny town called Thedford just north of North Platte. Of course that was in my railroading days (UP and BNSF) so I have been to every town along those points as well.

The house will have about 1,850 on the main floor with an unfinished full walk-out basement. Waaaay too big for what we need (Just my wife and me, no kids). Long story short, Kathy was recovering from breast cancer when all this planning happened and I just couldn't say no to her. If she'd not been going through chemo, radiation and all that, I would have cut her off a long time ago.;) I'll be more than happy to post pictures, but it's just in the final stages of framing and I don't think anyone wants to see that:eek:

Believe it or not, I've been through Thedford either going or returning from Sturgis (can't remember). I'm in Omigod (Omaha).

Travis, I'm late and you're already going forward, but I would've suggested having an "Oak Room", a "Maple Room", a "Cherry Room" and so forth... :)

I kind of thought of that, but as I get older I am getting lazy. If I used the hardwood I have on hand, I would have had to plane it from a rough sawmilled state, jointed it and then worked it up into the baseboard and trim I needed.

Years ago I built the original house the real hard way. I cut the trees, sawed the logs into lumber and then planed and jointed the boards into usable lumber. It was nice saving all that money and for using wood I had growing on the property, but now I am to shy of time and ambition. For 40 cents a board foot I can have #3 pine delivered right to the house and the boards are planed on all four sides. I agree that hardwood of any kind is better than pine, but man is it cheap and easy to get (hence the whole Pine Tree State slogan Maine has got going :) )

Travis,
the pine looks good. If you find it starts taking more abuse than you'd like, you could add a slightly harder yellow pine quarter round or shoe mold at the very base to deal with the vacuum and furniture that runs into it from time to time.
glad to know the house is moving along.
paulh

The house will have about 1,850 on the main floor with an unfinished full walk-out basement. Waaaay too big for what we need (Just my wife and me, no kids). Long story short, Kathy was recovering from breast cancer when all this planning happened and I just couldn't say no to her. If she'd not been going through chemo, radiation and all that, I would have cut her off a long time ago.;) I'll be more than happy to post pictures, but it's just in the final stages of framing and I don't think anyone wants to see that:eek:

Believe it or not, I've been through Thedford either going or returning from Sturgis (can't remember). I'm in Omigod (Omaha).

Thought I'd make a quick stop and post a photo or two taken a couple weeks ago of our house. The third car garage on the right...That's my shop!!!:p

Attachments

• post1.jpg
    post1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 21
  • post2.jpg
    post2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 21