What Are My Options for Decorative Drawer Fronts

Ken Close

I am building a three drawer/one door baby dresser with changing table on top, and am noodling what kind of choices I have to put on some "decorative" designs on say the drawer fronts or the door front or both, or maybe the sides.

"Decorative" designs? What does that mean? You tell me. I have in mind some baby bears or bunnies or ????? as inlays", already carved plaques, or ??????.

I apologize for not being able to describe this better...I hope you get the drift. For perspective, the dresser will be made from red oak on all external surfaces, poplar internally.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your creativity.

Ken

I don't know if this is what you mean, but we bought our house from a family with two little girls and the closet in what was their room has butterfly door pull knob dealies. The doors are accordion style on a rail system. Not sure if this is what you're looking for. If it is, I can take a pic later.

Sounds like you're in the " think'n " stage . . .

try cruise'n Cherry Tree Toys, Rockler ( some ), LV, and other " toy plan " outfits. They may not have " just-what-your-look'n-for " but it'll start the " now-if-I-tried-that " proccess. I live in that proccess !

Lee Valley has some intresting drawer pulls. Maybe if you are good at inlay you can cut some anaimals into the drawer front with a contrasting wood or arylic.

I am building a three drawer/one door baby dresser with changing table on top, and am noodling what kind of choices I have to put on some "decorative" designs on say the drawer fronts or the door front or both, or maybe the sides.

"Decorative" designs? What does that mean? You tell me. I have in mind some baby bears or bunnies or ????? as inlays", already carved plaques, or ??????.

I apologize for not being able to describe this better...I hope you get the drift. For perspective, the dresser will be made from red oak on all external surfaces, poplar internally.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your creativity.

Ken
Hi Ken :wave:,
Lots left unsaid... :D.. He said:rofl:..
What does the front look like? 3 drawers on top or bottom? Wide as the door? What do the sides look like? I only ask to help clarify correct responding, not to test you in any way, please do not misunderstand my cross examination. :rolleyes: Can you share a photo? If not that is okay.:)
In my thoughts, you can either add to ( applique, molding, stencil, faux paint, etc.) or you can take away ( carving, routing/shaping, drilling etc). Is this for boy or girl or both? Solid stock or plywood?
I realize this seems like alot of questions to consider but in the scheme of things we can get to that tremendous result if you consider some of these options.
Glad to have you asking for ideas. More info and thus more input from all the folks.:thumb:
Shaz :)

Robert: no problem with the questions...I had thought of sharing more information, and should have. Picture below. Drawer fronts are solid red oak, door is framed solid with panel being oak ply. Ditto sides. Top structure is solid oak all around. Skill levels are advanced beginner with no experience in carving, applying inlays, dovetails for that matter but that does not apply to this question.

The unit will be for twins, one boy/one girl. I have until the end of the year.....<wiping sweat from brow>

Thanks to the others for the sources and ideas--I had not thought of a creative drawer pull--will look into it.

Ken

Attachments

• 01 Full View.gif
    01 Full View.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 10
Robert: no problem with the questions...I had thought of sharing more information, and should have. Picture below. Drawer fronts are solid red oak, door is framed solid with panel being oak ply. Ditto sides. Top structure is solid oak all around. Skill levels are advanced beginner with no experience in carving, applying inlays, dovetails for that matter but that does not apply to this question.

The unit will be for twins, one boy/one girl. I have until the end of the year.....<wiping sweat from brow>

Thanks to the others for the sources and ideas--I had not thought of a creative drawer pull--will look into it.

Ken
Hi Ken :wave:,
This first pic is the end of a shoe bench with pieces added to break up the otherwise large plain end.
berryshoebench (600 x 450).jpg

The next few photos are of a dresser with flower pattern on the front and sides. Applique is my main decorative technique here.
drsr2 (450 x 600).jpg
drsr3 (450 x 600).jpg
drsr4 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN0943 (600 x 450).jpg

This last photo shows drawer fronts made of two same size pieces cut at the same time and pieces innerchanged.
There are many options, these are just a few I had on hand.
DSCN1066 (450 x 600).jpg
Shaz :)

Shaz:

Thanks for the applique idea. They look great on your dresser and I want to explore the idea for adding baby-friendly designs to my chest.

I am searching but not finding what I want yet. You have any source links for supplies as well as techniques.

Ken