It's alive! - ohoh

I found my first woodworking friend.

alive.JPG

It is hard to get a pic, but it is white and segmented. Should I toss the whole piece, cut it out or kill it (and remove it as best as possible) and safely use the section where the hole will not be visible?

Last edited:
:eek:Wood borer or Powderpost, either way you are looking at a potential house distroying problem. where did you get the material and where is it stored? Thes are concerns you need to find out about. If you just got the lumber then return to supplier and request refund and they need to know it is there. If you got it from your storage then check out the rest and dispose of it.

Several years ago in a school shop where I was teaching, we got a load of lumber just before school closed for the summer, when we came back in September the whole storage bin was distroyed as well as the racks and structure around it. So beware and don't take it lightly.

I got the piece from a friend early this summer. It has been stored in the attached garage until recently (about a month ago) when I placed it on the lumber rack. I'll give the friend a call tomorrow to let him know. (Not you, Ned, take a deep breath, this piece was from Sean.)

There was some exposed bark on the piece in question. With the possible exception of the bark, no holes were visible prior to milling. This is the first I've seen such a larva - what sort of inspection needs to be done to check out the other wood on the lumber rack?

The piece in question has been disposed of.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Last edited:
Um, could this be where it came from?

alive.adult.JPG

Keep in mind that the specimen was slightly distorted by a Mk I Leather Smasher, Foot Operated.

This is the second one that I have found in the basement during this year (the first was several months ago). How paranoid should I be and what can I be doing?