Spalted Pecan HF/vase

Endgrain Pecan log with a little bit of everything, spalting, worm poo, cracks and chip outs. 9" diameter by 12" tall, buffed gel poly finish. Did some burning around the opening to try to blend the chip outs.

TS453.jpg

TS453a.jpg

TS453b.jpg

TS453c.jpg

Travis, sometimes your incredible work provides some great motivation for a mediocre turner like me. But then when you post something like this, it makes me wonder how much scrap iron (about 500 lbs of Oliver lathe) is selling for these days. Man that is a beautiful piece of work! One of your best in my opinion!

Travis
What a beautiful piece. If some people only knew what it takes to make a piece like this, they would sell their lathes. Like I said before, you get all the good wood. :) GREAT JOB as always. :thumb:

Tyler, I think that Travis pays people to find this gorgeous wood for him:D--either that, or the wood gods just drop it down from the skies onto his property. He's just incredibly lucky in getting wood that comes to life on his lathe. I see more unusual grains/spalting/etc on Travis' work than anywhere else. I'm soooooooooooo jealous!!!

Nancy (60 days)

Now Nancy! I worked extra hard selecting just the right tree to cut and nurture until the time was right to turn it!

Actually, it was a case of cutting what I could get to after Katrina, then stacking on my shop floor until I could get around to it. :dunno: ;)

Travis,
I don't know how you can stand to look at that piece. I'll tell you what...I'll take it off your hands so you don't have to be tortured any longer (I have a high tolerance for pain):):D.

Seriously though, you never fail to amaze me with the fantastic pieces you post! It's always great to see the beauty you reveal, especially in this case with wood that came from such a devastating event!

Dick