table saws

Nick Solimine

Help I have been trying to make my mind up on a new table saw. Up until now i have not had the room for one. I have been using a dewalt contractors saw. My budget is $900.00 to $1,250.00. I have been looking at the Jet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Nick

Popular Woodworking did a comparison of 6 Hybrids in their November issue. The Grizzly was named "Best value", but the Jet and Steel City 35-601 tied for "Editor's choice", with the only gripe being that it showed a slight drop in blade speed while cutting 8/4 stock. That was really the only negative they found. You'll want to take a look at more than the Jet before you buy.

http://fw_woodworking.permissiontv.com/index.html?showid=402947 - good video recap of the article.

Nancy (62 days)

Todd beat me to that punch there. I always suggest used, more bang for the buck. Granted it isn't often instant gratification because it takes some shopping and being patient. Something that isn't popular in out our Credit Card instant gratification society.

For the money you mentioned you buy an older Unisaw or perhaps, if you find one a Powermatic cabinet saw. I used a 1946 Unisaw and wouldn't consider trading it for a new one. It's something you should consider.

Buying used also helps justify going slightly over-budget sometimes. "Honey, I need to spend 25% more because I found this lightly used machine that usually is three times what we've budgeted but now is just a little more ..."

If new is all you are considering, the Griz 1023 gets very high praise, and I believe there is a Shop Fox version of it that has a better warranty, and depending on where you are, you might find a Shop Fox dealer to get it from "locally". And these would be true cabinet saws.
In my area, you have to be real patient and very dedicated to find a good used cab saw for a decent price. Only one Iv'e seen on Craigs List here was a PM66. Very nice saw and lots of goodies to go along with it, but he wanted over 2300.00 for it, even though he had it advertised for $1.00. He asked me if I was nuts when I asked him if it really was being sold for that, and if so it was MINE! :D Jim.

I've been very happy with the C-man 22124. The Steel City twin has a fence that looks to be better thought out and the color scheme is cooler. I run on a 110v dedicated circuit and have had no problems power-wise ripping 8/4 beech.

I haven't seen the 22124 going on sale at 25-plus percent off like they were back awhile. Seems Sears found out they have a diamond in the rough and aren't discounting quite so heavily.

Fortunately or unfortunately your price range covers an array of hybrids, lower end cab saw and used saws. Lotsa choice. Consider the following which I'm sure is just partial list of items to factor in:

- Space, 30" or 50" rails?
- Power, will your shop support a 220v, 3 - 5 HP saw?
- Position, solid on the floor or mobile?
- Left-tilt / Right-tilt?
- Ease of adding jigs and fixtures, ZCI's, extension tables, etc.
- Dust collection.
- Ease of blade changes.

Todd beat me to that punch there. I always suggest used, more bang for the buck. Granted it isn't often instant gratification because it takes some shopping and being patient. Something that isn't popular in out our Credit Card instant gratification society.

For the money you mentioned you buy an older Unisaw or perhaps, if you find one a Powermatic cabinet saw. I used a 1946 Unisaw and wouldn't consider trading it for a new one. It's something you should consider.

Thanks, i will start a search. Any suggestions?

Popular Woodworking did a comparison of 6 Hybrids in their November issue. The Grizzly was named "Best value", but the Jet and Steel City 35-601 tied for "Editor's choice", with the only gripe being that it showed a slight drop in blade speed while cutting 8/4 stock. That was really the only negative they found. You'll want to take a look at more than the Jet before you buy.

http://fw_woodworking.permissiontv.com/index.html?showid=402947 - good video recap of the article.

Nancy (62 days)

Thanks Nancy it was very helpful.

Table saws

Thanks to all who replied. Now have a direction. From the new guy on the block hoping to contribute in the future any and all suggestions for my new woodworking shop appreciated.

nick,
a new shop? is this an existing building or one you`re going to put up?
what type of work do you want to do in your shop?
what tools are allready in your arsenal?
we`re more than happy to spend your money for you;)......just point us in a direction.

I go along with the members that suggest looking for preowned as you can get a lot more for your money in certain parts of the country. I don't know where you live but in some areas used machines of good quality are just about nonexistent and in others there seems to be a good selection. There are a few retailers that handle used equipment. If you live in the southeast a pretty good place, at times, is Wm.J. Redmond and Sons in Atlanta. Here are some of their reconditioned saws: http://www.redmond-machinery.com/table_saws_reconditioned.htm

Hi Nick - I've got a 22124 hybrid that I'm very happy with, but if you're shop has 220v, then I'd definitely look into a 3hp cabinet saw as the best you can get for your money. Saws like the Grizzly 1023 and Shop Fox W1677 should be within range, and possibly even a Steel City 35623....heck, Amazon has tossed Jet cabinet saws and Unisaws on sale in that price range within the past several months. Used is always an option to consider if a great opportunity arises.

If there's no 220, then a hybrid is a great choice for a hobbyist that offers many of the advantages of a bigger cabinet saw, though with less power and a lighter duty rating.