'Nother Alder Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Been busy, so I haven't finished up a hollow form in a while. More alder...will it ever end? This one's about 7 1/2" wide by 5 1/4" tall. I was trying for something a bit different with the form and chimney collar, inspired by the Pueblo Indian pottery I grew up around. This one has some cracks that I've left alone for now, but I may change my mind and do something with them.

The finish is once again Antique Oil buffed with tripoli and carnauba wax. The pics revealed some flaws in the finish that I hadn't seen earlier. I'm going to ponder it for another day or two...I may mess with the finish a bit more.

HF036 - 03 800.jpg HF036 - 05 800.jpg HF036 - 06 800.jpg HF036 - 02 800.jpg

As usual, I'd like to hear your comments or critiques. :wave:

Vaughn, I saw this type of hollow forms with such a chimney collar in a small indian village in the state Chapas in Mexico in 2004.
So looking to your hollow form, it broughts this memory back.
This means also that you did a great job, my big compliments.
I like it very much. Thanks for posting. :thumb::thumb:

Vaughn,
I must thank you for pointing out your inspiration - otherwise I would have been up all night thinking "I've seen that form somewhere - but where?!":rofl:
The form fits the wood very well. I'd leave the cracks. It seems like they were meant to be there - adds a bit of rustic age.

Wes

Vaughn my answer is
thumbsup.gif

Nice job, Vaughn!

Hey, you know how you keep threatening to turn a box one of these days? The form of your current alder HF reminded me of a quasi-similar project from Wood Magazine. I found my photocopies down in the shop and it looks like it was in the September 2003 issue.

Here is a related photo that I found on WOOD's site:

turnkeepsakebg.jpg

Unfortunately, this picture (not from the article, I don't think) doesn't do the project justice. My recollection is that the project in the article had a much more "Southwestern" form.

The article actually calls this a "Double Take Keepsake Box". The "Double Take" part comes from the fact that, when assembled, the box LOOKS like a hollow form. That's because the lid is hollowed out to a certain depth and the "hollow" part is given a flat black coat of paint / ink / whatever. The lines on the side of the box hide the fact that it comes apart, so when the viewer picks it up they are surprised
A) that it's not hollow after all, and
B) that it has a lid and ... oh! ... it IS hollow after all!​

I'll see if I can find the article and supply one of the original photos (which shows a lighter-colored wood and the contrasting "hollow").

OK, so I'm all wet. :dunno: The picture in my previous post DID come from the article, but there were a couple of other sample boxes, too:

[Click for larger image]

Making a double-take box that looks even more "Southwestern" is ... ah ... left as an exercise for the turner. :rolleyes:

I was trying for something a bit different with the form and chimney collar, inspired by the Pueblo Indian pottery I grew up around.
As usual, I'd like to hear your comments or critiques. :wave:
Hi Vaughn :wave:,
I like to look at your stuff, it pleases me. I am impressed with the hollow form. How thick are the walls down inside the vase below the neck? Do turners try to maintain thicknesses like potters on a wheel?
The top termination seems unfinished to me, but I could not even imagine doing what you have done here. Push on as you see fit! You are the artist and you need create as the spirit moves you.
Shaz :)

...How thick are the walls down inside the vase below the neck? Do turners try to maintain thicknesses like potters on a wheel?...
It's about 3/16" thick, fairly consistently to the bottom, where it's probably 1/2" to 3/8" thick. To some turners, thin walls are required, but I'm still at the rookie stage where I'd rather preserve the piece than risk getting the walls too thin and blowing it up. :eek: I've also got a couple where I intentionally left the bottom a bit thicker, just to add some "heft" and substance to the piece. (It's still cool to pick up a thin one and feel how light it is.)
Vaughn, this is well executed as we would expect, just isn't my cup of tea.
Honest truth, as I was making this one, I was thinking "Keith won't like this one a bit". :rofl: I've got you pegged, Mr. Burns. :p That's OK, I still like you, no matter what Travis says about you. :D

Very nice work Vaughn! I love southwestern style pottery and believe this HF does it justice. Nice tapering curves, color and finish. If it was mine - I would fill the cracks with turquoise just to add an additional touch of the southwest.

Steve

Clark, I'm using the captive hollowing rig from Monster Tools. The official name is the Monster Hollow Form with Laser. It's shown down near the bottom of this page:

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page5.php

I can't say enough good things about this rig...I love it. :thumb: If you're on a budget, there are lots of folks who've made their own with a little welding and bending. A number of good turners are using home made rigs.