JET Dust collector question....

John Pollman

Hi folks!

This afternoon I was over at my next door neighbor's house helping him with a few things in his shop. His brother is coming by this week to do some work in there and he was straightening things up a bit in preparation. He has a JET dust collector and I noticed that the "key" is not there. It won't turn on because I'm fairly certain that there is a "safety key" or "lockout" that is missing from the red power switch. You can throw the switch but nothing happens. I'm sure that it's because there is a key missing. Is this something I could get a Woodcraft, or Rockler, etc. ? Or would it have to come from JET? Just curious because I think he's going to have quite a bit of cutting to do and the DC system will be much needed. Thanks for any input!

John

Last edited:
Yes there is a key. I am sure you could order one from Jet but I am not sure one would be available locally. Here is a picture of the key out of my Jet DC.

Attachments

• jet key 2.jpg
    jet key 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 20
OK thanks Tom. That's kind of what I figured. I just didn't know if it may be something that could be bought locally. He was going to do some more looking around after I left to see if he could find it. Hopefully he will and all will be well. Short of that, I guess he'll be on the phone to JET. ;)

Thanks again!

John

From the looks of things, it might be possible to fabricate a quick replacement key out of hardwood while you're waiting for the official one to arrive. It wouldn't need to look pretty...just fit the hole and be able to be removed.

Ya know Vaughan, I was thinking the same thing. It looks like it just has to slip into the slot in order to activate the switch. Doesn't look like it's any special shape or anything. The keys I've seen for the old Craftsman table saw in the basement just pop out of the switch and have two prongs on them that make it operational and wouldn't be as easy to duplicate. But from that picture it looks like it just needs to be the right width and thickness and it should do the job. I've got to go over there again tomorrow to do a couple of things anyway so maybe I'll try and do it while he's at work. (Yes I've got a key to his shop ;):D)

Thanks for the input guys!

John

If there is a local dealer that sells Jet equipment you might just be able to get one from them. If one or both of you are established customers there may or may not be a charge. Good luck!

Got the problem solved!

I just took a piece of wood and cut it to the rough size and headed over to the sander. I just sanded it down a little bit until it looked like the picture posted here. I slid it into the slot and it worked perfectly!

Thanks for the idea Vaughn!

John

Last edited: