Lathe Bench Concept

Wes Bischel

Hi all,
I could use a bit of input on a lathe bench I’m contemplating. Hopefully I can explain my thoughts and some of the issues I’m working with/around without getting too tongue tied - so to speak. Though I’ve been noodling this concept for some time, I figured I better get some input before making the first cut. It is much easier to change a drawing than redoing a whole set-up! I also realize the set-up isn’t without compromises, but I think it’s workable and ideally there are no fatal flaws. I am interested in your thoughts and hearing any pros or cons. Your input would be greatly appreciated!
Oh, and I’m still honing my skills with Sketchup, so you will invariably see some boo-boos. Hopefully nothing that will get in the way of communicating the concept.
Background:
- My shop is extremely small, and I already have 50lbs in a 2lbs bag.
- I turn on occasion, so the lathes are not the focal point of my shop. They need to be pushed to the side when not in use.
- Since space is a concern, I am hoping to use the area under the lathes for storage.
- I have two lathes – a “wood” lathe and a metal spinning lathe. (OK, I have 5 lathes, just these two are under consideration here.)
- The lathes in question are a Karle metal spinning lathe, and an old Hardinge lathe I’ll be using for wood turning.
- The Karle lathe and bench with steel legs came as a set from the factory – for the education market. (shown)
- I haven’t been able to use these two lathes because I don’t have them set-up in the shop.
- Since both lathes use motors that are separate from the beds (unlike midi lathes for example) they will need to be mounted onto a bench.

Concept – Dual Lathe Table
- Place two lathes on the bench, back to back.
- Build a cabinet to house the motors and create storage for the lathe accessories etc. (replacing the metal legs.)
- Drawers or pull out trays behind the doors (not shown – I’m still working on the drawing)
- I show a divider between the lathes. I’m thinking of clean-up. Also potential for holding more stuff near the tailstock ends!
- Put casters on the cabinet so the whole unit can be moved against the wall, and rotated to access one lathe or the other.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Wes

Attachments

• dual lathe table w karle.jpg
    dual lathe table w karle.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 23
  • dual lathe table karle w cabinet base.jpg
    dual lathe table karle w cabinet base.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 20
  • dual lathe table hardinge w cabinet base.jpg
    dual lathe table hardinge w cabinet base.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 22
  • dual lathe table top view cabinet base.jpg
    dual lathe table top view cabinet base.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 25
  • karle and base.jpg
    karle and base.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 27
Hi Wes

I like your basic idea, I know all about 50lbs in a 2 lbs sack :D

One thing you might want to consider is if the divider will get in your way on the wood lathe, if you are doing any bowls at all, the handle on the bowl gouge could hit the divider as you hollow out the inside of the bowl, so I'd make the divider slide into place on a set of slots or something.

Cheers!

The two lathe set-up looks efficient. But I would leave off the divider as unnecessary. And the wheels should be good quality locking types. The extra weight of two lathes will add to stability.

Hey Wes, I've been noodling your idea here all day, and I have to agree with Frank, loose the divider, but replace it with a box :thumb:

Make the box fit exactly on half of the table/bench, have it designed so that if fits over either lathe and locks in place somehow, maybe like the latches on a tool box lid?

This way, you keep the lathe that you are NOT using totally clean.

I know that with my DVR, shavings go flying everywhere (insert "poke fun" dig on Frank's underpowered Green lathe here) and I also know that metal lathes are often covered with cutting oil etc, and burying them in shavings would be a bad thing, so a box to cover the unused lathe seems to be a good idea.
One more thing, you will get a shelf, (the top of the box) to put stuff while you are turning on which ever lathe is in use.

Cheers!

Thanks gents! I'll ditch the divider. I hadn't thought about it getting in the way - though the wall gets in the way in my current set-up now that you point it out. The spinning lathe only uses wax for lube (toilet seals seem to be the best bet according to the experts!:D) so the divider really isn't necessary other than containing chips.
The "box" idea is intriguing. Naturally any horizontal space in my shop is fair game!:thumb:

Frank, I did pick up some really nice casters from my local Habitat Restore. They are 6" units with more grease fittings than my old Ford! BUT, the brake mechanisms were removed. I was thinking I could rig up a separate stop or brake system, but I might be farther along just buying new casters with brakes. Any suggestions? How about these Chuck Beland suggested? At 155lbs heavy duty enough?
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6132

Thanks again for the suggestions and thoughts. If there is something else I need to consider, please let me know!

Wes

Wes, there are lots of ways to put the brakes on, from a simple threaded rod that turns down to contact the floor, like this on my jointer..........
gm_jacks_2.jpg

to more involved methods that lift the wheels off the ground. In my experience, the brakes on most casters are just friction stops against the wheel, the only type worth bothering with are the ones that lock the axle and stop the caster from spinning around as well, these are usually fairly pricey, but work well.

Something like this is not bad......
5in. x 1 1/4in. Fairbanks Swivel Total Locking Caster

The thing is to get a swivel lock as well as a wheel lock, but, like I said, a leg that swings down and lifts the wheels just off the ground are not hard to make are certainly cheap, and would be rock solid, if done right.

Cheers!

Really, guys. May we digress a bit? I'm not anti-clean, in fact I'm near obsessed with the germy thing. But, I draw a distinction between 'dirt' and 'messy'. And, I belive that a shop that looks used has character. Mine does get swept occasionally. Broom and dust pan is my DC system. This shop is my man-cave. I'm at home here. OK, I'll buy the oily machine lathe argument. Keep it covered.

Attachments

• messy lathe.jpg
    messy lathe.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 16
Geez Frank, you want to compare "Messy" you are up against the WRONG guy here.......... :D

really_big_mess.jpg

Just the same, not having dust and shavings pile onto the metal spinning lathe is a good thing........ no? :D :wave: