• Total voters

Bob Spare

Who is outnumbering who?

1.) Wood turners 80% plus

2.) Flat wood 80% plus

3.) Both 50-50

4.) Other

Last edited:
This will be interesting! Based on the number of projects displayed here, one would be led to think that spinners are the majority. But then, it's really hard to turn out a flat project after dinner one evening! :rofl:

Hi, my name is Stu and I'm a turner.............. :rolleyes:

Yep, I guess I'd say the majority of my work is turning right now, but really, the thing is, I like to turn, but, I also enjoy doing flatwork.

Cheers!

Hi Stu! I'm a turner too! It has been almost 11 months since my last flatwork project! Remember admitting you have a problem is the first step....then again who wants to recover from this addiction!:p:rofl:

The LOML is looking for 12 step program for me though!

When I walk into the shop, if I have my druthers, I'll turn something. But it's always a mitigated and rushed joy, since I'm often wracked with guilt. You see, Doorlink wants (and needs) a lot of flat and trim work done, along with a thousand other things. So anytime I'm having fun turning is time I should be spending doing other stuff...

Thanks,

Bill

Right now......sorta flatwork 100% ...trying to finish the shop.....

The rest of the time it kinda depends on what SWMBO wants done....:eek:

Over 80% round stuff for me these days, although last night I did use the tablesaw and router table on some flat stuff.

I voted for 80% turner, since I seem to spend most of my time at the lathe. But I do build furniture, and in fact, am getting ready to start a (gasp!) king size Stickley style bed! :eek: There is not a turning to be found on it, and it is as square as square can be.

Of course, if I do not get SWMBO's kitchen hutch done soon, you may not be seeing me around anymore.

Bill

11 more votes and we match the voting member total for the moderator election!:p :huh: I'm also suprised that there aren't more 80% turning members. I guess since our "projects" can be started and finished in the same day amount to more postings....Great Poll Bob!:thumb:

I'm wondering if perhaps the turners are too busy turning to reply to this thread... :rofl:

Having said that, I'll own up to currently being a flatworker. As a turner, I'm barely more than a month old - and am still learning the art of turning.

I feel less than manly now, having made that feminine rhyme. Thankfully the feeling is passing wanly from my mind.

(Bump thread)

You turners should vote

Why? I dont know, hate turners because I'm not one........is that a good reason??

:bang::bang::bang:

I tried turning, but it wasn't for me. When I'm in the shop, I'm more into the practical than the artsy (and I don't mean that to offend anyone) so I'd rather build something I'm going to use than something that is going on a shelf. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate some of the beautiful work the turners do though or wouldn't love to have a piece in my home, just that I don't want to be the one to make it.

I tried turning, but it wasn't for me. When I'm in the shop, I'm more into the practical than the artsy (and I don't mean that to offend anyone) so I'd rather build something I'm going to use than something that is going on a shelf. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate some of the beautiful work the turners do though or wouldn't love to have a piece in my home, just that I don't want to be the one to make it.

So why aren't you turning legs for chairs and tables? :)

I suspect this might be one of those "right brain, left brain" things. Some people favor the structure and orderliness (most) flatwork offers, and others favor the spontaneity and non-conformity of turning. Neither side is wrong...just different.

I spend a lot of my "work" time in left brain mode:

Logical
Sequential
Rational
Analytical
Objective
Looks at parts

So my "fun" time tends to be more in right brain mode:

Random
Intuitive
Holistic
Synthesizing