Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dis-couraged

Inside the Beltway

Hey, folks,

I hate to vent my frustrations... and maybe I should just keep quiet about it.

But do you ever go through periods where *everything* you do in the shop goes wrong? Nothing major, just stupid little things: a drawer you checked for square at glue-up is crooked when you go to install it... you try to thread a piece of wood, mess it up, try again, and mess up in a different way...

I'm going through a bad patch the last couple weeks. Now, don't get me wrong... it's normal for everything I make to be slightly off-kilter. But they don't usually actually *fail*, they just look weird. (reflective of their maker, no doubt!)

Maybe I need to drink different whisky. Maybe I'm just not supplicating the right gods. I swear to you, I went into the shop this morning and didn't even pick up a tool... just sat there and tried to think about the problem. I need a solution. I feel like a golfer who has the shanks... Didya ever see that movie "Tin Cup"?

Does everyone go through this?

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Been there, done that. Generally I have a three strikes rule; if I tank on something I move to something else, if I botch that I move again . . . third time's the charm - shut down and go in to the house. I frequently find if I 'just walk away' things are much better when I start up again.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Tokyo Japan
    Heck yeah!

I was taught "A change is as good as a rest" so what I do when I get in one of those periods of "AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH" is to do something different.

Something else I do is a MAJOR, and I'm talking MAJOR clean up in the Dungeon, and I tackle a job that I was putting off because I did not really want to do it, then, when I'm done it, I can enjoy going back to the thing that made me

I think it happens to most of us

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

DSM, IA
    Bill someone once told me, maybe here, that if something goes wrong, try and put away a few things or clean a little in the shop. I try to do this to keep the almighty shop gods happy with a somewhat clean shop, but usually I just push things around or pick something up and put it in a different place. I've had the shanks in golf before as well....clearing the mind is the only thing that will help! Have you tried yoga?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I know you meant that you were going to drink AFTER you left the shop, right? Don't want you loose when you fire up that table saw.

But, I know what you mean, I'm going through a patch right now, really want to play with the new toy, but there are maintenance things to do, and a project for LOML that hasn't gotten started because we are still trying to iron out all the details, and chairs that need refinishing, and a gate to repair and, and, and,...............

I need to pick one and do it and then move on, and clean the shop up once again!

I have days like seems to hit me more often than it used to.......

When I was younger I gritted it out and kept working until I worked my way through it. Now I just shutoff the lights and go away until I feel it has passed.

Charlotte, NC
    Nope, never happens to me. Everything I touch turns to gold!

a large part of being a successful carpenter is learning how to fix your mistakes...just think of `em as an education
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Villa Park, CA
    I find that true in life. Seems that both good and bad things come in groups.

When things are going bad, I remember that times change.

And when things are going good, I remember that times change.

Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Bill, I know that feeling, happens me too sometimes.
    My solution, than I close my shop, and do something else, thinking I'm not in the right mood today.