Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phenolic plywood

phenolic plywood

Has anyone ordered this from Woodpeckers? Curious to know about the quality. Also they have email specials, coupons etc but all the savings are eaten up by their expensive shipping costs. Anyone know their reasoning on this.

Doug

Their expensive shipping just shows poor negotiating skills with the shippers. The special on the plywood is a twice a year thing they do as a promo. My DP table is phenolic ply and it is pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't use it for cabinets or anything but for work surfaces it is a neat idea. Their CS is rated high as well. I had no problems with them.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Sinjem View Post
    Has anyone ordered this from Woodpeckers? Curious to know about the quality. Also they have email specials, coupons etc but all the savings are eaten up by their expensive shipping costs. Anyone know their reasoning on this.

Doug
    I've purchased several from the local Woodcraft. It works really well for jigs and I replaced the UHMW on my TS fence with it also. The DP table is on my list of things to do.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Thanks Rennie I didn't know they carried that product. I have a store close by.

Doug

Can somebody describe what this is? I'm not familiar with it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Can somebody describe what this is? I'm not familiar with it.
    Phenolic Faced Plywood

This manufactured material is fantastic for shop-built auxiliary tables, fences, jigs and fixtures. It is dimensionally stable and has protective surfaces that will stand up to the harsh wear and tear of your woodworking shop. Glued together with exterior glue, the birch plies are sandwiched between a top and bottom layer of phenolic impregnated
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

OK, very interesting. It does look like it could have many useful applications. Thanks for the info. I'll check to see if it is sold locally.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank

It is very good for what it does. Over here, they use a very similar product for the floor of some trucks. It is the same construction but has a smooth side and a patterned , non-slip, side. If you are looking locally and have anybody who builds trailers or custom truck bodies they may be a source of offcuts etc.

Just FYI - If any of you folks that live near each other wanted to go in on a large sheet, a full sheet of 3/4" is about the same price as the smaller panels at WC and WP.

Example:

http://www.whitecapdirect.com/products/505PSF
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Just FYI - If any of you folks that live near each other wanted to go in on a large sheet, a full sheet of 3/4" is about the same price as the smaller panels at WC and WP.

Example:

http://www.whitecapdirect.com/products/505PSF

Thanks Glenn

What an idiot I am! Being in concrete I should have known Whitecap carries this stuff. It's a favorite of concrete contractors that form and pour poured in place concrete walls. Most guys don't use it because of the expense when forming big walls but I know when used I cuts down on the sacking and patching cost.

I will look into what my local whitecap has and report back.

Doug