phenolic plywood

Doug Sinjem

Has anyone ordered this from Woodpeckers? Curious to know about the quality. Also they have email specials, coupons etc but all the savings are eaten up by their expensive shipping costs. Anyone know their reasoning on this.

Doug

Their expensive shipping just shows poor negotiating skills with the shippers. The special on the plywood is a twice a year thing they do as a promo. My DP table is phenolic ply and it is pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't use it for cabinets or anything but for work surfaces it is a neat idea. Their CS is rated high as well. I had no problems with them.

Has anyone ordered this from Woodpeckers? Curious to know about the quality. Also they have email specials, coupons etc but all the savings are eaten up by their expensive shipping costs. Anyone know their reasoning on this.

Doug
I've purchased several from the local Woodcraft. It works really well for jigs and I replaced the UHMW on my TS fence with it also. The DP table is on my list of things to do.

Can somebody describe what this is? I'm not familiar with it.

Phenolic Faced Plywood

This manufactured material is fantastic for shop-built auxiliary tables, fences, jigs and fixtures. It is dimensionally stable and has protective surfaces that will stand up to the harsh wear and tear of your woodworking shop. Glued together with exterior glue, the birch plies are sandwiched between a top and bottom layer of phenolic impregnated
web3958big.jpg

Frank

It is very good for what it does. Over here, they use a very similar product for the floor of some trucks. It is the same construction but has a smooth side and a patterned , non-slip, side. If you are looking locally and have anybody who builds trailers or custom truck bodies they may be a source of offcuts etc.

Just FYI - If any of you folks that live near each other wanted to go in on a large sheet, a full sheet of 3/4" is about the same price as the smaller panels at WC and WP.

Example:

http://www.whitecapdirect.com/products/505PSF

Thanks Glenn

What an idiot I am! Being in concrete I should have known Whitecap carries this stuff. It's a favorite of concrete contractors that form and pour poured in place concrete walls. Most guys don't use it because of the expense when forming big walls but I know when used I cuts down on the sacking and patching cost.

I will look into what my local whitecap has and report back.

Doug

Whitecap has that stuff cheaper then BB at the local highjack center($60, with tax):eek:. Which I believe are seconds like most of the other ply that he sells.

Is all Phenolic Plywood made Equal?

Is the Phenolic Plywood at White Cap (Quoted $32/sheet) the same stuff that Woodcraft sells for $60 / Quarter sheet?

In reading the descriptions, the WC has an impregnated paper overlay , The Woodcraft stuff has a top and bottom layer of phenolic impregnated birch ply. Are the products equivalent or is the White Cap a construction grade?

Bottom line the real question -- Is the White Cap version a quality good enough for shop jigs, router or drill press table tops?

All Phenolic Plywood IS NOT created equal !!

Went down to White Cap this morning to view their Phenolic Plywood and it is a good construction grade used for form work but nothing like the quality of what Woodcraft sells. I didn't think WhiteCap could sell a furniture quality Phenolic Sheet for the price they quoted.

Anyway, it was good to see the store (it's new in our area), the Manager and sales folks were extra friendly and helpful. They treated me like their very best customer, showed me around the store, even though we all knew that they were not geared towards weekend warriors like me. Great to be treated that way ! :thumb::thumb:

Just wondering, does White Cap sell to the 'weekend warriors'?

Or do you have to be a business to deal with them?