Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California fires

California fires

Hey, folks,

Well, this sure puts things in perspective. My brother sent word today that he's been ordered to evacuate his home, just north of San Diego. He said something about 70 MPH winds and 4% humidity... a bad combination. From the satellite pictures of the smoke plumes, looks like the winds are blowing hard straight out of the east. Anyone in the area who can give a first hand report?

Thanks,

Bill
    (Former CDF firefighter)

No fires close to me but there's a couple 15-20 miles upwind from here (extreme north-east corner of Anaheim): bad smoke smell anytime I stick my head outside, almost unbreathable.

Worst Santa Ana winds I've seen in 33 years here. Next-door neighbor got a big chunk of his roof peeled back last night, guy on the other side of him had a big tree fall over and smash his back fence flat, and the fence gates on the house across the street are laying flat in his back yard. The park where I normally walk my dog looks like a tornado hit it...it would be even worse except they did a major pruning of the trees there last spring.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?

Geez, I sure hope this passes soon, fire and wind are a bad combo to be sure.

Can't help myself........... "What kind of tree fell down Lee..........?"

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I have, and always will, hate fires. It does not matter if you are rich or poor, young or old, when a fire takes your place (rented or owned) you are left with the same thing...nothing.

Now with that being said, I think I am off to Malibu CA. I guess its in danger of burning down several well know actors and actress'es homes. Now I really don't care about much about personally saving Eddie Murphy's house, or Jennifer Annistan's, or even Victoria Beckman's place, but by goodness when Tiffany Amber Theissen's house is in danger I will be there!! (She's my heart throb by the way and just happens to live in Malibu.)

Yep I asked the wife to dig into the savings account and get me the money for the plane ticket. I figure with my 10 years of fire fighting experience, and with my brother being a Bangor Fire Dept Training Officer, I should have enough credentials to put water on said fire.

I can just imagine the accolades now, the thanks, the praise from sweet Tiffany as I save her house and try to revive her even if she is breathing just fine on her own. I am sure after that act of bravery she will want a Machinist for a husband instead of some Movie and Television producer named Brock. I mean think about it, a Machinist that can trick out OUR kids trikes with custom made CNC parts, or a boring, rich Movie Producer?

On second thought, maybe I should just stay right here in Maine and wish my California friends the best in their time of need.
    For those that don't know, Tiffany played the Cheerleader on Saved By the Bell and also played in Beverly Hills 90210 as Valerie Malone.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Travis, stay home

Hey, you forgot about this one.........

Then again, it was only on air for one season or so..........

It is on late night re-runs here, not that I watch it, as I don't watch TV, but a Japanese buddy of mine asked me about it, and I looked it up.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I hope your brother's house stays OK, Bill. My niece and her husband in San Marcos (northern San Diego County) are providing housing for some of the evacuees.

So far in my little corner of LA County things have not flared up (literally), but we're on the edge of the Angeles National Forest in a pretty heavily wooded area, so we're keeping our eyes and ears open. The conditions are ripe...right now (at 2:00 AM) it's 78 degrees outside and 12 percent humidity. Fortunately the winds are calm right now, but they are predicting the winds will be back tomorrow, and inland temps (my area) are expected to be in the high 90's.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have two cousins in CA. I'll be calling them later today to see if they are affected. Also, my 98 year old aunt lives with one of the cousins. I simply don't understand California or Californians or why anyone would want to live there. Mudslides, fires, earthquakes and Michael Moore. No way, no how for this boy.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

How far north of San Diego Bill? North does not appear good. I do not live there now but lived in Rancho Bernado untill 1986 and still have friends there but have not heard anything from them. I understand that is one of the hardest hit areas so they probably have their hands full. I sure hope that your brother escapes with no damage.

My daughter was evacuated and then cleared to return. My folks live down there and I have lots of friends scattered throughout the desert basin that have also been effected. The numbers keep changing but we had lost 700 homes at one point and have 300,000 people in some stage of evacuation. The air is even browner than usual. Unbelieveble impact on so many lives. Saw an arieal shot of the coast and the smoke cloud extends what appears to be miles out to sea.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I simply don't understand California or Californians or why anyone would want to live there. Mudslides, fires, earthquakes and Michael Moore. No way, no how for this boy.
    Well, we also get wall-to-wall TV coverage of the blizzards, tornados, hurricanes, floods, humidity, whatever that the rest of the country gets 24/7/365. Seems like everytime something bad happens here, there's also a news story showing some poor schlub back east sitting on top of his house in the middle of a river waiting for a helicopter to show up to rescue him. (Followed by the obligatory interview where he vows to rebuild for the umpty-eleventh time.)

As for Michael Moore...well, we just have to remind ourselves that it could be a lot worse: we could have Rosie O'Donnell. And god knows we're more than willing to share him with the rest of the world.
    Where are we going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?