Thread: First box

First box

This is my first attempt at a mitered corner box. It's not perfect but I am well pleased for my first attempt. First thing in a couple of weeks that hasn't had big problems!

It's made of Oak I found in the attic of an old Post Office/General Store on my property. So the Oak must be at least 50 years old. Probably closer to 70. I am not a big fan of oak but this stuff is beautiful, just very thin. The center is a piece of mahogany I had left over from a boat project several years ago.

Very nice box Jeff. I like to use oak on boxes . I like to mix it with ash for accents when i put mitered keys in and lid pulls and knobs.
    Good job!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    This is my first attempt at a mitered corner box. It's not perfect but I am well pleased for my first attempt.
    Jeff,

Very nice work! I wish my "first tries" looked so good!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

No need to put it down. Lookin' fine.

Hey Jeff, the box looks nice. I like the look of the contrasting top panel. You did a nice job.

Jeff , I like that box too. How did you join the mitred oak frame around the mahogany? Wood history makes the project more special too.
    Good job.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Jeff,

The boxes look great to me, I always seem to have a hard time getting a perfect miter on small projects like those.

Looks nice, Jeff. Simple lines, and a nice combination of woods. Boxes are a lot more challenging than they look, huh?

Sounds like quite a place you have there, Jeff. Your own General Store and Post Office...what...did you buy the whole town? (The smiley is green with envy. I'd love to have something more than a city lot.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, I am just not a city boy. Couldn't stand it for long at all. I have 3 acres. My FIL and his brother are pilots. His brother is still active and flew over just a few days ago. Gives me an excuse post this photo. Will post that in the Off Topic section.

But the Store/PO is very small and about to fall in. Not much to see. I just recently found out what it was.