Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Critique my Firewood!

Please Critique my Firewood!

This is a piece of cherry that for whatever reason continually develops radial cracks while turning. I had hoped to make a nice looking hollow form out of it but it makes for some really nice looking firewood! This is my second attempt at this form (had radial cracks in the first one also - both from same log) and in the hopes that I (we) can learn - I ask for critiques on the form.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cherry Firewood.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	13792

It's 7" from the foot to the lip, 4" at the mid-section and the foot and the lip are matched at 2 1/2".

Thanks in advance for your input!

Steve

Brand new to the forum and already posting pics I've never done a HF, but yours always look great...maybe it's the log(both had cracks)?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff - it was absolutely that particular piece of wood. I never even got the chance to start hollowing. Was just finishing off the outside and getting ready to install my steady rest when I heard a high pitched ping. Shut everything down and found the crack. Spent about an hour trying to CA cracks on the first HF I tried out of that cherry. Didn't work as everytime I would start the lathe back up - Ping! So, this time I won't spend any more time on it and hope to get some insight as to the actual form and possibly some ways to improve it.

Steve, I wish I could help, but like I said...not a HF turner...yet. I know you will get the answers you want....
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Steve, I think as soon as you get some non-pinging wood, that form's going to be a winner. It has a real classic look (to my eyes).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Afternoon, Steve. Like the form.

Question about the wood: Is the Pith still in the pieces you're working?

Bruce

Steve, looks very good, only you created a kind of a double foot, without the lower part it would be more elegant, but this is my opinion.
    Anyway you did a great job.
    Oh well, cherry, most of the time it cracks on different places, also this is my experience.
    Better is seal the ends and put it in your store for a very long time.

Ad, I'm guessing the lower foot that you're seeing would be removed in the final version. That looks like the tenon Steve is using to hold the piece in his lathe chuck.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Bruce - the pith is still in the wood. Was hoping that I could hollow most of it out and if it cracked on the base I could just fill it with something.

Ad - Vaughn is correct - the bottom portion of the base is just the tenon. The actual foot would be just below the slight flair located about 2" from the bottom.

Is ths from Orchard Fruit Cherr or from Wild Black Cherry. does make a difference. I have heard that Orchard wood is most difficult to dry and cure properly. Also is the piece green or dried. and if dried, to what MC. If it is green or near green and you do the turning you are exposing wood cells to atmosphere in a more rapid speed as you remove bulk. The tight grain of cherry added to the rapid release of moisture when turned may be causing this problem. Also If it is Orchard wood I believe that the constant baring of the weight of the fruit and releasing at season's end does cause cell structure failure and with the rapid MC changes occuring with turning these failures occur.

It has been my experience that Dried Cherry is the only way for success.