Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool Cues?

Question Pool Cues?

A friend wants to know if I could turn a pool cue for him. My lathe is a midi lathe and not long enough to turn a cue in one piece. Does anyone know where I could get the hardware (I have no idea what it even looks like) to build a two- or three-piece pool cue. Also, anyone know of a tutorial on the web that could explain how to go about this?

For a newbie turner like me this seems like a big challenge and I'm just dumb enough to like a challenge.

EDIT: Just realized, there must be some provision for the weight of the cue, as well. Any thoughts on that?
    Last edited by Gord Rock; 10-23-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Added a question

I think that Vaughn is your go to guy on this question, give him a chance to wake up and I"m sure he'll be a great help!

Jay

Google it. A lot if information will turn up. Custom pool cue makers use highly specialized lathes and inlay equipment. You are right in thinking that coupling is the way to go.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

6-8 hrs of labor will get you a stick that`ll be inferior to a 39.95 special from the billiards supply.....been there-done that
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Gord, the other guys pretty much summed up what I've learned about making pool cues. If you're friend's a somewhat serious player, then I suspect he wouldn't be satisfied with one made on a midi lathe. The cue-making lathes I've seen are more like a metal lathe, with a precisely controlled tool bit carriage (or whatever it's called) to ensure a perfect taper.

This site has quite a bit of info and supplies, and as Frank mentioned, Google will show a whole lot of others:

http://www.cuesmith.com/

Perhaps you could make your friend a pool cue case instead?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the input guys!

With all this information I think I'd rather just go buy him a cue.

Building on Vaughn's idea, maybe you could turn him a case that looks like a giant pool cue. He could get some good laughs out of walking into a pool hall with a cue that's two inches thick.

I was kicking around on the FineWoodworking site tonight, trying to get more money's worth out of my one-year online "subscription". I don't know if non-subscribers can get to this item, but it's a PDF of a 4-page article called "Turning a Pool Cue":

Thanks Kerry. An interesting read, and I guess it does show it's doable on a standard wood lathe. (And of course that prompted a search for pool cue turning blanks, which then ate up another hour or so skipping across the Intertube.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    I was kicking around on the FineWoodworking site tonight, trying to get more money's worth out of my one-year online "subscription". I don't know if non-subscribers can get to this item, but it's a PDF of a 4-page article called "Turning a Pool Cue":
    Couldn't get in. I won't say turning a pool cue on a standard lathe is impossible. But, it nearly is. That long, slim form is just way too 'flexy' for decent turning. I have tried canes and walking sticks and ran into the same problem, even with a center steady-rest. That's why most kits for cues and canes involve couplings for making in sections. My canes have ended up with one end clamped in my big Neander post vice and being taken down with a drawknife.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire