2008 Florida Turning Symposium

Can't answer your question Jay, I've not been to one. Ira (my buddy who was in Tampa with me) has been bugging me to go with him, but I really don't think I'll make it. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm really interested in going (for three days) and don't really know why.

I strongly suggest (if you havn't already) you check out the AWW site
http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List
and attend a local chapter meeting. Looks like the closest one to you is in Melbourne. Ira and I belong to the Jacksonville club and make the 75 mile (one way) trip once a month. For us, it's worth the drive.

Good Luck in your turnings !!

Last edited:
Jay,

I don't know, looks like a pretty good way to jump start. If I had time and money, I'd probably go. I don't see Bill G. on the roster, but there's some guy named Lacey, or Laurel, or something like that. Oh, yeah... Lacer. ;) He's teaching a class called "befriending the skew." The whole trip would be worth it just for an hour of that class. A lot of the other things look durned interesting.

That said, I've never been to one. It might be like going to a computer show. Ever been to one of those? You're looking at stuff, all focused, and suddenly you look around and say to yourself "who are these folks?" Not quite like a star trek convention, but almost... ;)

Still, turners can't possibly be like that! ;) Can they? ;)

Just teasing,

thanks,

Bill

Jay, I think if you've got the money to attend, the education you'd get would probably be worth the expense. (Although it is possible to suffer information overload at an event like that, from what I've read.) It'd especially be worth the $100 if you were close enough to commute, but it looks like a pretty decent drive to get there, so you'd likely be looking at accommodations, too. That ratchets up the price quite a bit, and at that point I'd say it's really a matter of whether you can and want to afford it.

For me, seeing a really good turner turn in person was an epiphany :eek:

Changed the way I did everything, and ignited a fire in me to turn that has not gone out, in fact only grown.

If you can attend, I would, I'd make a real effort to go. Do some research pick the demos you want to attend, and make a schedule. I do not know if they allow hand held video cameras in the demos or not, if they do, get your batteries charged up, bring your charger along (to recharge your video camera batteries at lunch time) and get one of those mono pod things. sit in your chair, and hold on to the camera in one hand, standing on the mono pole, this way you are not blocking anyone from seeing the demo and will get most of the demo on tape/disc. I know the quality will not be best, but with your memory, the video and some notes you will learn a HECK of a lot more, than if you just show up and get wowed by all the demos, and trust me, you WILL be WOWed :D

Oh yeah, notebook and pencil are also needed, maybe a clipboard to write on your lap.

These events also often have the various DVDs for sale from the various turners and the AAW too, the AAW's sharpening video is very good.

Hope you can go, I'd be there like white on rice if I was in the area! :D

EDIT:

If you do go, you simply MUST see Michael Hosaluk, a Canadian turner. Eli Avisera and Jean-Francois Escoulen BOTH told me how good this fellow is, Eli said he is one of the best natural turners he has ever seen.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Got a tape recorder or some other audio recording device? :D

Even just for your own note taking, seriously, as Vaughn says, you can suffer "Info Overload" :thumb:

Cheers!

as Vaughn says, you can suffer "Info Overload" :thumb:

I'll vouch for that. I attended my first real woodturning symposium this summer on the BYU campus. The Utah Woodturning Symposium is the longest-running one out there (28 years!) but they've kept it pretty small ... "only" 10 classes running at any one time. :eek:

Anyway, I got the chance to serve on the team of camera operators. This was both good and bad. Good because I got to attend for FREE. "Bad" because I was handed a schedule and couldn't pick which demo to attend (unless I made the effort to swap with someone else). Even with the need to concentrate on the camera work, I was able to soak up more than enough info & inspiration over 3 days to last me for a good long while.

If you've never been to an event like this, I would definitely say "Go!". At some point in the future you may attend a larger event that will make this one pale by comparison, but you will always remember the cool stuff you saw and learned at your first one. :thumb:

Last edited:
Jay I would go. You will gain a ton of knowledge and be wow'd at the same time. I would definitely make a effort to see Alan Lacer, Michael Hosaluk and Franck Johannesen if I didn't see much else. I would definitely get the DVD's Lacer puts out. They are excellent.

Jay:

This is one of the best "State" syposiums going. And other than a smaller group of vendors than the National, the quality of this show is tops.

It is extremely well run, and the campus in Eustis is extraordinary for this type of event (if you're not fussy about the motel-style accomodations, that is).

The demonstrations and workshops are always top notch, and this year's group of marquee talent is going to draw turners from all over the country. The fact that it is held in Florida in January is even more incentive for some.

I guarantee you walk away from this show with all sorts of new knowledge and an enthusiasm for turning that will keep you coming back year after year.

Hope to see you there.