Adirondack chair

Gene Miller

I always wanted to make a couple of these chairs. I figured that the ipe would be the perfect wood. I found the plan in a magazine. The joints were sliding dovetails and tenons. I didn't think I could manage because the wood was so hard. I opted for dowels. Lots of them. I had to sharpen the drill bit after ever 20 holes. It's amazing how hard a wood can be. I seem to have a allergy to the dust, which is very fine and coats everything. Over all I am very happy with the results. I like working from a plan much better as I find it makes the work flow much better.

Very nice. I like the style and will definetly put a couple on the list of must haves.

BTW the color of the chair on the right is very close to what heart Rimu looks like when its finished and probably just as hard. Which is how the new benchtop will look.:thumb:

Very nice, Gene. The chairs go great with the gate. (I made a similar gate many years ago in high school.) And as Mark pointed out, it looks like the "client" is happy with the results. :thumb:

Great and comfortable looking chairs. You'll have 'em for many many years. I can attest to the character of Ipe. I've turned a couple pens made with Ipe and it's some pretty dense stuff.

Great job!:thumb: